Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   New Black Widow/Skirt Tetra spawned.... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/new-black-widow-skirt-tetra-spawned-56390/)

Blue Aquarius 11-29-2010 02:08 PM

New Black Widow/Skirt Tetra spawned....

I have had 6 black skirt tetra for about a week now and this morning when I came down I noticed some odd behavior....they were spawning. I didn't intend to bread them, but if I see fry in a few days I want to know what to do. I separated the fish from that part of the tank when they seemed to be calming down. I can see a few eggs on a couple of plants and saw a few fall towards the substrate. I really don't want to have to buy special food for fry if they hatch and I read that I might be able to use egg yolk to feed them. If so, how do I prepare it? I also have flake food, sun dried baby shrimp (gammarus) and algae wafers. I read something about them needing Spirulina which is in the wafers, so I was thinking I might be able to grind and mix them in water to dissolve and to feed them. The only fish I ever had when I was little were guppies and we didn't feed them anything special from what I remember. Any suggestions? Thanks all! ;-)

Blue Aquarius 11-29-2010 05:01 PM

I have been checking on the eggs all day and they seem to be developing a bluish milky spot inside a bunch of them, is this bad or good?

sik80 11-30-2010 10:16 AM

not sure on the egg colouration.

re: food. i'd look for a clean but stagnant water source, such as a puddle, pond or in my garden, empty plant pot. If there's some organic material decaying in there there's likely to be microorganisms (infusoria) there. Getting those microorganisms into your tank without putting a load of gunk in your tank might be the hard bit! for starters I'd try adding a decaying leaf to the tank perhaps... or even use a decaying leaf to kick start your infusoria culture

also some finely ground adult food might help.

plants such as java moss or java fern are great for providing shelter and microorganisms for fry too

Blue Aquarius 11-30-2010 11:26 AM

Thanks for responding,
Well I see a few fry when I use a flash light over the gravel. They don't seem to have the egg sack like the sites I looked at said. Unfortunately it looks like there are a bunch on the side of the tank with the adults /sigh. My tank is planted so at least there is that and the plants do have a couple decaying leaves (they were put in a week and a half ago). There is a puddle at the end of my driveway but I don't think it's clean, lots of cars go through it. Plus it's been raining all night.... I do have a slightly boiled banana peal and an algae wafer in some aquarium water for the infusoria, but I only put that together yesterday when I saw the fish laying eggs. I'll try the fish food, I hope it works.