Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Strange Filter (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/strange-filter-5634/)

fluffin 05-05-2007 04:48 AM

Strange Filter

We bought a new tank, 50L for £35 second hand from a fish shop, so we could put our fish in it whilst we sort out their bowl as it's over run with annoying snails. We put the filter in, the one that came with the fish tank and it just seems to be pumping air into the water and lettling all the rubbish float on the surface.

Here is the link to the filter photo as I am rubbish at describing things:
http://s161.photobucket.com/albums/t...Fishfilter.jpg

If anyone else has one of these filters, your advice woud be much appriciated, thank you :D

Oh and the best way to get rid of the snails would also be appriciated. We don't have a pond so that idea is out of the window and pouring them down the drain when they're aquatic didn't seem like the best of ideas. I have no idea what type of snail they are and I can't get a decent photo of one.

jones57742 05-05-2007 05:22 AM

Pouring them "down the drain" will be OK.

They will be unable to survive in the sewage collection and treatment system.

TR

Falina 05-05-2007 06:48 AM

Your filter is a fluval (something)+. I can't tell what number should replace the (something) as this depends only really on size. My guess, from the tank size, would be 2+.

I have a 2+ and a 3+ in 2 of my tanks and I find that they are excellent filters. Is it possible that the filter is clogged and needs the media changed? I notice also that you have the filter at the bottom - is there a reason you are doing this? Normally they are kept standing upright, with the nozzle about 1cm from the surface so that the surface is aggitated a bit. My recommendation is to try this and see if it works any better because as I have said, I have found my 2, to be excellent filters.

fluffin 05-05-2007 06:54 AM

The only reason the filter was placed like that is because my silly boyfriend put it in the way turtles are meant to have it or so they are placed in the aquatic centre with turtles. The tank is going to be for turtles afterwards.

I have now turned the filter up the correct way, thank you, and I have no idea about filter clogging and what the media is! I assume it's something to do with something you replace inside the filter. If it is, how do you open the filter?

Thanks again :)

Falina 05-05-2007 07:04 AM

To tell if it's clogged there should be a wee yellow tab thing at the top. If it's level with the rest of the filter then it's not clogged. If it's pushed down then it's clogged. This sometimes breaks after a while thoguh so to open it:

Push in the 2 side panels with the wee dots on it. This will allow you to pull of the top part with the motor in it. This can sometimes be quite stiff.

At the bottom on each side there are 2 wee tabs with arrows pointing down. Pull these and the middle part will come out.

This "middle part" then opens into 2 halves just by pulling them apart.

When you open this you will see 3 pads inside it. The 2 at each side will be a white sponge thing and the middle will either be white nylon, or black carbon depending on what you have in it. Give these a really good rinse out if they're clogged. I'd advise not to replace it all at once as this could result in a mini-cycle.

Any more problems, just stick up another post and I'll try to help.

Oh, and to find out what model you have, if it's approx. 7-8" high then it's a 2+ as I suspected. If it's 9-10" high then it's a 3+. If it's smaller than the 2+ it's a 1+ and if it's bigger than the 3+ then it's a 4+ obviously. This will alloow you to get replacement media as you'll need to know the exact model before you can buy it.

HTH

*Edit* I recommend the white nylon insert rather than the carbon if you're replacing the media.

fluffin 05-05-2007 07:11 AM

It is a 2+, it says on the top! We're putting the fish in now and it looks as though they're struggling to swim, can we turn down the power of the filter at all?

Falina 05-05-2007 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fluffin
It is a 2+, it says on the top! We're putting the fish in now and it looks as though they're struggling to swim, can we turn down the power of the filter at all?

Yup! There's an adjustable lever thing which is blue near the top on the front an inch or 2 below the output. Move it more towards minus sign (the right) a bit and it will reduce the strength of the flow. Also, if there's too much turbulance on the water surface that could cause it to be too strong. Move the lever but if that doesn't help then submerge it another cm and see if that does any good.

fluffin 05-05-2007 07:28 AM

Yayness, it worked!

We'll sort out the filter before we put turtles in and after we take the fish out, thank you so much for your help.

Falina 05-05-2007 07:29 AM

You're welcome! :D

Trishfish 05-05-2007 11:21 AM

I think pouring them down the drain is cruel. Put them all in a ziplock baggie and put it in the freezer for a few hours. The end result will be the same but they won't be tortured.