Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   looking for a "special" auto fish feeder (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/looking-special-auto-fish-feeder-56328/)

RCinAL 11-28-2010 12:05 PM

looking for a "special" auto fish feeder

I am considering my 1st automatic fish feeder ever. The problem I see with these is that most require a huge, gaping, unprotected gap somewhere in the hood for the food to drop through. I have a history of keeping some weird critters than are considered to be 'escape artists' (dwarf frogs, rope fish, various eels, etc) and always keep the hood closely trimmed around all accessories for this reason. You could say I am "fanatical" about it. (My water doesn't evaporate - at all! 8-))

Does anyone know of a feeder that does not require this wide-open chasm? I want one that can be fitted tightly through a carefully cut hole in the hood leaving no security breach in my tank. I am tooled-up and pretty handy, so if anyone has ever made this happen with any brand of feeder I would like to hear about it.

Thanks.

Ralph

zof 11-28-2010 02:07 PM

A piece of pvc drilled into your top sounds like the best option, you will just have to create a custom mount for the auto feeder so it the part that drops the food sits directly over the pvc pipe, when not in use you can always put a cap over the pvc pipe.

RCinAL 11-28-2010 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zof (Post 522089)
A piece of pvc drilled into your top sounds like the best option, you will just have to create a custom mount for the auto feeder so it the part that drops the food sits directly over the pvc pipe, when not in use you can always put a cap over the pvc pipe.

Thanks. I had thought that or a piece of lift tubing or something might work. But It would still take a certain kind of feeder where the drop hole is stationary. I have seen them that rotate and this would be hard to adapt. Do you have a particular model to check out?

Anybody?

zof 11-28-2010 02:45 PM

Most of them on this page look like they would work, I see what you are talking about with the rotation and trying to hit a small hole but this can be overcome I would think by creating a funnel around the rotating part. You could probably create the funnel out of an old 2 liter bottle thats been cut up and glued the way you like it. This is all in theory of course and have never tried something like this but seems reasonable that it would work. Let me know if you want me to draw some diagrams of my idea.

RCinAL 12-01-2010 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zof (Post 522110)
Most of them on this page look like they would work, I see what you are talking about with the rotation and trying to hit a small hole but this can be overcome I would think by creating a funnel around the rotating part. You could probably create the funnel out of an old 2 liter bottle thats been cut up and glued the way you like it. This is all in theory of course and have never tried something like this but seems reasonable that it would work. Let me know if you want me to draw some diagrams of my idea.

Sorry, zof, I've been busy and couldn't respond quickly enough.

I have some ideas of my own, but would certainly welcome any others. I don't know how to make sketches and get them on the internet, but I was thinking about taking an Eheim rotating, programmable feeder and gluing or taping a lightweight, plastic "flap' on the side of the food drum opposite the dospensing hole. This "flap" would rotate around with the drum and rest over the hole I would have to cut in the hood after every feeding cycle. It should be easy and cheap enough to do.

I think I like the Eheim because of good reviews and the fact that it can be set for only one feeding a day (I think). Most feeders force you to program at least two feedings a day. I hand feed them and like it this way, but because of my crazy work hours I can't do both feedings far enough apart and need just one in the morning by machine.

Keeping in mind the Eheim feeder, what ideas can you share?

Thanks,

Ralph

zof 12-01-2010 07:39 PM

Sounds like it would work, hard to say with out seeing detailed pictures of the feeder in question but should also be alot simpler and easier to do that my idea.

RCinAL 12-02-2010 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zof (Post 524739)
Sounds like it would work, hard to say with out seeing detailed pictures of the feeder in question but should also be alot simpler and easier to do that my idea.

Thanks, zof. I will make something work and try to post some pictures of whatever contraption I come up with in case anyone else has the same reservations about gaping holes in their lid.

Cheers!

BTW... I found out there are a few others besides the Eheim that will feed just once a day and am now plying my options on which to buy.