Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Fish Tank Size (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/fish-tank-size-56326/)

stevenwignet 11-28-2010 11:47 AM

Fish Tank Size

I have a budget of 50 and looking to get a fish tank

I have seen two tanks

a 26 ltr 26L BOW FRONT AQUARIUM FISH TANK SET FILTER/LIGHT BLACK on eBay (end time 28-Nov-10 20:13:39 GMT)

and a 34ltr 34L AQUARIUM FISH TANK COMPLETE KIT FILTER+LIGHT SILVER on eBay (end time 02-Dec-10 15:00:31 GMT)

Which one is better?

I am also considering getting a heater and getting some tropical fish as listed below.
Is that too many for the above tanks or adequate?

2 Zebra Danios
2 Gold Danios
2 Leopard Danios
4 Assorted Platys
2 Swordtails (Pair)
3 Cherry Barbs
3 White Cloud Mountain Minnows
6 Neon Tetras

As I am limited to 50 and the above not suitable any suggestions as to a bigger tank for less than 50 ?

thefishboy 11-28-2010 11:52 AM

Way way to many fish for a 34l tank.... As it is around 6g i would get the tank and a singl Betta Splenden and that would be a nice lil setup on budget..

BEARitone 11-28-2010 01:12 PM

My suggestion would be to keep the money and keep an eye out for used tanks locally. Fish keeping is a lot more work than most people think and there are a lot of folks how just give up and sell their tanks at a great price.

However if it absolutely came down to those 2 tanks I would just get the bigger one. When you are tight on a budget I would choose more room over aesthetics.

Also consider you will need gravel, water conditioner(to remove cholrine from tap water), fish food, a heater, a thermometer, and a gravel vacuum. A water testing kit is highly recommended. Local pet stores often have beginner deals. When I bought my 10 gallon tank it came with a nice filter, lights, food, conditioner, and a net for $30usd.

I am sorry but that is far too many fish for the size of tank you are looking at. There are also problems with the danios, barb, and tetra because they should be in a group of at least 6, they are also active swimmers that need a lot of room to swim. A basic rule of thumb that is good to use when starting stocking is 1 inch(of the ADULT fish, not what it is when you buy it) per gallon of water, but use common sense that a 10inch fish will not be happy in a 10 gallon tank. Just keep reading and researching, patience is key in this hobby.

Tomsk 11-28-2010 01:54 PM

Hi there,
if your looking on E-bay use the distance option from your postcode and you may find some used tanks local to you.These are much cheaper (around my area a secondhand 10G is about 25 which is expensive compared to some areas around the UK).Plus the benefit of a second hand one is that you often get extras included (filter,heater,airpump,water condioner,food etc).
Also type "free fish tank (your county/city)" on a UK search on google.You may not find a free tank but you will find lots of local trade-it etc websites which you can save in your favourites and check on them everyday or so for cheap tanks.
Also visit your local freecycle website and post up a advert looking for a fishtank.

Good luck with your hunt for a fish tank and while you are waiting to get one use this forum to get as much info as possible to give you a good headstart on your future fish-keeping.A smentioned before,the two tanks you have linked are too small for the fish you wanted,so the bigger the tank the better.

Tomsk

stevenwignet 11-28-2010 01:58 PM

A friend of mine has those fish and is moving out of the country so i offered to take them as a batch as was easier, unfortuinately they sold the tank so cant get it so having to get my own. but with limited funds am a bit screwed.

am getting the heater and food along with the fish if i want it, unfortunately they sold the tank so cant get that.

Seen some good ones on ebay used but all collection only but i dont have a car so limited to online sellers with delivery only

lostperspective 11-28-2010 03:14 PM

30 Litre Aquarium Black by Ciano Aquariums (Available In Store Only) | Pets at Home
^
I got this one from Pets At Home.
You have to go to the store though..
It comes with a filter& light & it looks much better than the picture..lid's a bit iffy though.
To give you an idea of prices.
I paid another 10 for a heater.
25 I think for a test kit.
About 20 on fish so far.
10 on food.
7 on the gravel maybe..
more for plants & fertilizer.
5-ish for a net and gravel cleaner..
5 on water conditioner..
So yeah. The tank is only the very beginning..

It's a lot cheaper on ebay 2nd hand, and you tend to get all the stuff you need as well as the tank..
You might be able to negotiate with them to deliver it to you for a little more money if they live nearby..?
personally i am waiting hopefully to get another tank after christmas. =')

stevenwignet 11-29-2010 04:34 PM

been browsing the various websites and seen this ad

3ft tropical aquarium on metal stand. Complete with heater, powerhead filter, gravel and flourescent light. Also with this tank comes a large oscar and large plecostamus. 75.

is that cheap?
is it worth it?
what are those fish like? (read they hard work to look after)

tanker 11-29-2010 05:16 PM

From what I've read, those fish are too big for a 3ft tank.

To find out about specific types of fish, check the "Tropical Fish Profiles" - second tab from the left at the top of the forum.

I said it in reply to the other thread you started, but I think you should research the fish you are interested in getting, before you decide on a tank. You may end up disappointed if you get your tank first and then you can't have the fish you'd really like.

In relation to the fish you said you'd take from your friend, I think you should tell your friend that you can't have them. Without a suitably sized tank already set up and established, you aren't equipped to look after them. If you were to move all of those fish into a brand new uncycled tank they'd probably (all) die. They'd be better off going to a LFS where they could go into an established tank.

While you are researching the fish you'd like, you can keep your eye out for a good opportunity to get a decent tank at a good price. If you are patient, you might find that someone desperately needs to rehome a tank and can offer you delivery. If you rush in and grab something straight away, you may regret it later when you spot an opportunity to get something better. When you look at the cost of all of the equipment you need, getting a tank with gravel, heater, thermometer, etc can really save you a heap of money.

My advice? Don't rush it. Do your research, figure out what fish you'd like, be patient to get a good deal on a tank that'll suit what you want and find out everything you can about how to set up your tank and look after your fish when you eventually get them. It can be very disappointing and discouraging having fish die on you, so it's better to try to do it right, right from the start.

stevenwignet 11-29-2010 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tanker (Post 522797)
From what I've read, those fish are too big for a 3ft tank. .

that was my first thought, as looked at LINK and they are huge fish so made me wonder that two large fish in that tank would be a push.

obviously that size tank would suit my list in my original post but i would be scared to kill the large fish as reading they need a lot of care and attantion, unlike small fish they not fish they are more like pets that need a lot of care and regular cheaning as they poo a lot and constant ph checking

I have had small tropicals before (similar as list above), so not a beginner as such but looking to get back into having them again.

tanker 11-29-2010 05:38 PM

From what I've read, plecos poo a lot, too. You've got virtually no hope of maintaining the necessary pristine water conditions in a tank that is undersized for the size of the fish, so even if you were willing to take on the responsibility of caring for demanding fish you'd probably be unsuccessful no matter how much effort you put in. If you did try to get that tank, you'd be better off trying to rehome the fish (which might not be that easy to do, it's not like giving away a guppy). I'd wait for something that doesn't come with a whole heap of headaches attached.