Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Unknown fish. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/unknown-fish-56308/)

lostperspective 11-28-2010 05:16 AM

Unknown fish.

I bought two bumblebee gobies yesterday, and when I got them home I noticed two other fish in the bag - they look like they might be some kind of tetra, they're about 1.5cm long, very slim, translucent/silvery, with those pale aqua eyes which look like they're glowing.

Having a little trouble taking any photos, sorry..

Romad 11-28-2010 07:09 AM

Bonus!! Hopefully they're something compatible with your setup.

Is there a stripe down the side of the fish (horizontally)? First thing that came to mind based on your description of the eyes is an Emperor Tetra.

lostperspective 11-28-2010 07:40 AM

n__n Hopefully. Being in with the bumblebee gobies is a good sign right? they don't look like they'll be the cause of any trouble anyways~

their eyes looks just like those, and the cardinal tetra as well..
but they're much thinner,(maybe because they're young) and almost all translucent..
they're slightly red just behind the eye
& behind that there's a small silvery patch.
other than that they're just see through - you can see their skeleton I think.

Romad 11-28-2010 09:32 AM

Could be a glow light tetra. Google image tetras until you find what matches.

lostperspective 11-28-2010 11:16 AM

I think they might be. =) thank you!
It says they need to be kept in groups of 6 or more.. will they be ok with 5 cardinal tetra for company?

Romad 11-28-2010 12:00 PM

do you have room for 4 or 5 more? that would be best for them. what size tank? and do you know your water hardness/ph?

lostperspective 11-28-2010 01:09 PM

It's probably already over stocked. =/
It's 30 litres~

I'm persuading my mum to let me get a bigger tank - but she's worried what I'm going to do with them when I go to uni in 1 1/2 years!

I think the water is quite hard, pH about 7.4 I think..
I could get soft water from the fish shop..?

kaythenewbie 11-28-2010 04:10 PM

Not sure if they're glowlights. Glowlight tetra have a very distinct orange stripe down the center of their bodies and orange around their eyes. They do look kinda see through though. Look into X-ray tetra and bleeding heart tetra as well; they have the red spot coloring near their eyes that you described. All tetras need to be in a group of at least five, preferably more, so if you are already overstocked, you might want to think about taking it back.

lostperspective 11-28-2010 04:16 PM

strange. they looked just like the glowlights which came up on google images.
but not the one on the fish profile. & there's no orange stripe.
they could be x-ray tetra but they don't have the black on their fins..
so they can't just be friends with the cardinals then? =')

=/ One of them is, quite viciously, chasing the other round the tank at the moment.
I'm going to order some floating plants for them to hide in.. that should help right?

Byron 11-29-2010 07:39 PM

Assuming they are characins (tetra are in the group of fish known as characidae or characins) they are shoaling fish which means they naturally live in very large groups. Six is usually considered the minimum, as it allows the fish to feel "safer" with company and they may (depending upon species) have a social structure within such a group. I mentioned characins because we have fish profiles here with photos and a lot of info on each species, and you can scroll through the characins; almost all commonly-encountered tetra are included now.

The behaviour you describe may be normal "play" for a shoaling fish, or it could indicate aggression due to having only two of them. Scientific studies have now proven that shoaling fish kept in small numbers (singly, 1, 2, 3 or 4) frequently become aggressive due to the stress. I am not suggesting you overstock a small tank as that will lead to other types of stress issues and poor health. But keeping in mind the natural tendency of the fish, once you identify them, you may need to consider returning them. Many fish stores will accept fish in such circumstances.

Byron.