Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Dwarf Gourami's Last Rights... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/dwarf-gouramis-last-rights-5629/)

scottydog 05-04-2007 09:26 PM

Dwarf Gourami's Last Rights...

Ok, I just read my Blue Dwarf Gourami his last rights, a little more than a month after we brought him home. I label it a mysterious death as I cannot find anything wrong with the tank. Plus, he isn’t OFFICIALLY dead yet (Bring out yer dead! Bring out yer dead!!)

We have 2 tanks, a 55g and a 10g. The Gourami lives (lived) in the 10g. The fish was naturally shy from the outset after being constantly bullied by our Zebra Danio who eventually got moved to the 55g tank as it was being set up. Once the Danio moved out he was fine, even though he kept to himself mostly.

Ok, long story longer. I woke up this morning to see the Gourami resting fitfully at the bottom of the tank gasping for air. I did a quick 20% water change and tested the water…all was well. Here are the conditions:

Nitrate PPM 40
Nitrite PPM 0-.5
Hardness Hard
Alkalinity 80
PH Level 7.8
Amonia Level 0
Number Of Fish 3
Temp F° 78

Some of the readings are near the upper end of acceptable but all are still within the acceptable range…right? I read differing opinions in PH and temp. I tried dropping the PH slowly, added a bubble stone but have always had success with the filter providing enough aeration. I also turned the heater off to let the temp drop slowly as colder water carries more O2.

The fish also seems to have lost color and looks like someone who has been deprived of oxygen or been out in the cold too long…kinda pasty blue. Granted, it is a Blue Gourami, but he had nice blue & red colorations to him before, now he is the pasty blue color, especially around his head and gills.

He went from being a beautiful and productive fish to lying on the bottom moments from making the long swim home. Could it be that I bought an old fish that is dying of old age? He is only about 2” long. What else would cause a fish to take a fast turn for the worst?

His tankmates are a medium black angel fish and a common pleco, both of which are doing fine, although a bit saddened by the demise of their friend (“I’m Not Dead Yet!!”)

Anyone have any insight on this? Is the death not as mysterious as I think?

Thanks!

Age of Aquariums 05-05-2007 12:07 AM

Your nitrites and nitrates are too high.

Falina 05-05-2007 08:10 AM

I'd recommend 30% water changes every other day until your nitrites are 0, and your nitrates about 20.

I hope he makes it.

scottydog 05-05-2007 10:34 AM

The Long Swim Home...

Well, I am sorry to say, he didn't make it. I didn't think the water was out of range but on the high end of acceptable. Granted, I used the dip strips to test which I know can be inaccurate.

Did the water change and will work to keep the remaining 2 waterbreathers alive and well.

Thanks for the adv.