Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Handfeeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/handfeeding-5623/)

Falina 05-04-2007 05:31 PM

Handfeeding

Does anyone have fish they hand feed?

I have a betta who likes to be hand fed. He actually prefers it as he only picks at his food if I just put it in the tank. I really like it - makes him seem more like a pet. :D

Amphitrite 05-04-2007 05:36 PM

I hand feed my severums, and also my rams when I had them. I love doing it, despite the occasional bite. :lol: The sevs will actually let me stroke their sides now.

Falina 05-04-2007 05:49 PM

That would be great - I'm so jealous! Hannibal (the said betta) draws the line at letting me touch him. I always thought it was just knife fish and eels that could be hand fed but it seems not!

Really interesting to find out what kind of "relationship" people have with their fish as well. Some have them just to have a pretty looking aquarium, but others, like me and you obviously, like to try and interact with them which isn't required obviosly, but I think is really nice.

jones57742 05-04-2007 05:51 PM

My large black angel enjoys being petted.

TR

Falina 05-04-2007 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jones57742
My large black angel enjoys being petted.

TR

That must be lovely!

xxthrwitdwnxx 05-04-2007 08:40 PM

how do u hand feed

lioness501 05-05-2007 03:04 AM

nearly all ,my fish hand feed, even the puffers. my goldfish and balloons like a stroke! and my bala shark too, hes very friendly.

Falina 05-05-2007 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxthrwitdwnxx
how do u hand feed

Depends what food you're feeding really but if it's flakes, then just hold a flake under the water, near the surface, my betta's favourite is brine shrimp. I buy frozen, which is near impossible to hand feed, and the wee tubes that come in a jelly. I just hold the tube and squeeze a wee bit out, but not enough that it breaks off, and then he comes up to the top and "bites" a bit off. :) I really recommend you try it. Your fish might not be interested for a while, but if they learn to do it, I think it's lovely.

drag 05-07-2007 05:20 PM

How sweet! My betta would kill for some frozen mosquito larva I give him as a treat, I'll try to hand feed him some later and see how he does.

He likes to brush up against my hand whenever I'm moving things around his tank so I don't think he'll have a problem.

(*laugh* What is it WITH my pets? I have a cat that thinks she's human, a cat that thinks she's a dog, a dog that SHE's a cat, and now a betta dog, hmmm... or maybe cat, has the same curiosity.)

tophat665 05-08-2007 11:45 PM

My weatherfish will eat freeze dried tubifex out of my hands. Freaks out all the other fish in the tank, though.