Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Plants with incandescents (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/plants-incandescents-5619/)

hamdogg08 05-04-2007 12:50 PM

Plants with incandescents

Can you grow plants with the screw-in style lights on something like a cheap ten gallon? I've seen CF bulbs that size, but I don't know they'd work out or not. If I wanted to just grow some low light plants (java moss/ferns, and crypts) What would I be looking for? (a link to a web page would be awesome)

tangy 05-04-2007 04:04 PM

i have incandescent bulbs, you screw them in and there. its like 15 watts in a ten gallon, it came with the tank and they keep my amazon swords and pigmy cgain swords alive. thepygmy swords need plenty of bright light, but mine still grow normally. sadly, i dont buy plants online so i cant help you there

hamdogg08 05-06-2007 03:36 PM

Did you switch the bulbs out at all, or are you using the ones that came with the hood?

tangy 05-06-2007 03:43 PM

the ones that came in the hood, they work fine my plants grow nice and big

fish_4_all 05-06-2007 04:05 PM

It can be done but the plants grow slower and you are really limited to swords, crypts, anubias and ferns and mosses.

I grew plants with them when I started but it was so slow I switched to the fluorescents. You can use the screw in fluorescents, the energy saver type in the horseshoe style work best but at the cost of the bulbs it would be cheaper to get a fluorescent hood.

I actually use a 48 inch fluorescent shop light right now over 2, 10 gallon tanks and I can grow most plants that have a medium high or less light requirement. Is just an option and I got it from Whacky World, (wal-mart) for like $30 for the fixture and 2 bulbs.

To give you an idea of growth rates, I had a Red Melon Sword and when I switched to the fluorescent lights it outgrew my 10 gallon tank in 4 weeks, and I mean grew out the top of the tank. I also had a Red Wendtii crypt literally take over half of one of my 10 gallon tanks in less than a month after I cut it back to nothing but nubs.

hamdogg08 05-06-2007 05:49 PM

I'm just planning on growing stuff like the java moss and maybe java ferns in there. It's just the tank that I stick new fish into to make sure they aren't sick. I'd just like to make it a bit more hospitable. Thanks for the help!

herefishy 05-06-2007 08:19 PM

Please note, there are small, compact screw-in type flourescent bulbs available for those that have incandescent-type hoods and wish to change to flourescent lighting. Flourescent lights tend to be more economical, although they do cost more, last longer(this is a plus and offsets the higher cost), and give off less heat.

fish_4_all 05-06-2007 11:28 PM

If that is all you want it for then go for it. It will work well and keep the plants at least alive. The screw in compact fluorescents will make more light but may require a litte more work with the plants. I think you can get them in 10-15-10 and 25 watt versions although for that tank I would stick with the 10 or 15 watt bulbs. Just make sure to get bulbs that have a 65,000 K spectrum. They will either be in the aquarium section or in the light section.