Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   hmmmm big change?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/hmmmm-big-change-56182/)

bearwithfish 11-26-2010 08:34 AM

hmmmm big change??
 
sooo my tank has been doing great up until the last two weeks.... needless to say i have a bit of green algae growing and i want to get rid of it.. grabbed some naserus snails and they like everything in the tank BUT the green LOL welli kind of expected that.. so today i am going to start a major water change... like i am moving all of my live stock into a 5 gallon for a few hours and i am changing about 95% of the water (leaving 5% for the one inhabitant i can not move out LOL) . now i know i need to temp match and be sure the water is mixed really well but my question is this
i have been using instand ocean (purple bag) since i started this tank and i am going to switch to reef crystals by them today to avoid dosing.... that said should i drip acclimate my stock back into the tank or willl they be ok with it?
a brief list of Live stock
4 damsels
duncan
flower nem
2 unknown SPS (stag horn perhaps)
palys
GSP
snails Mexican turbos x4 and naserus x4
crabs hermits x4

reefsahoy 11-26-2010 10:55 AM

the lvestock should be ok as long as temp is ok. reef crystals is made by the same manu. instant ocean. ru using ro/di? if not then imo simply changing water will not really do anything as far as reducing the algae. if you have algae get a sea urchin. he'll eat algae including coralline! he'll munch everything clean and your rocks will become white like the day you put them in.

bearwithfish 11-26-2010 12:38 PM

any specific type os urchin? i am not sure what is available in my area but i would like to research long before a purchase so i can be ready for long tern care

reefsahoy 11-26-2010 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearwithfish (Post 520811)
any specific type os urchin? i am not sure what is available in my area but i would like to research long before a purchase so i can be ready for long tern care

if you take a close look at the picture here it shows 2 sea urchins that my friend used to clean his tank. The urchins are almost directly in the middle and front of the picture and if you'll notice the rocks just to the right of them is white. he had put them in to fight algae in his tank and to my amazement they really cleaned house, i mean tank! the rocks became white like the first day he had put them in.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/SylvesterinFL/S...0/IMG_3929.JPG

reefsahoy 11-26-2010 02:18 PM

here's a before and after picture of his tank.

before sea urchin
http://lh5.ggpht.com/SylvesterinFL/R...0/IMG_3645.JPG


after sea urchins

http://lh6.ggpht.com/SylvesterinFL/S...0/IMG_3718.JPG

badxgillen 11-26-2010 06:46 PM

tuxido
 
they also like the macro algaes...

bearwithfish 11-27-2010 09:49 AM

i grabbed a pencil urchin last night and decided to make a few smaller changes and started with a 12 gallon one last night along with some less traditional ideas i had ... if they work i will post to let you all know

badxgillen 11-27-2010 11:08 AM

cool
 
nice....my pencil urchins seem to do a good job and no ouchies...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2