Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Good Cichlids? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/good-cichlids-5616/)

Mating Slinkys 05-04-2007 12:06 PM

Good Cichlids?

Hey folks, i just got a 30g tank (a fluval duo deep 800) and i plan to move my angel fish from my smaller tank to the bigger one so they have a chance to grow without touching the sides! I have two kribs as well and i really like the idea of setting up a cichlid tank. I'm not very experienced with cichlids, but i've been told they are awesome, so i'd like to see what i can do. What cichlids could i have in there with the kribs and the angels. also what sort of setup would suit them best? Cheers.

leifthebunny 05-04-2007 01:00 PM

I wouldn't recommend the Kribs & Angelfish in the same tank. Kribs tend to get nippy. I'm setting up my tank for angelfish and use German Blue & Gold Rams. I'm also going to get a variety of Apistogrammas for my tank (currently a male/female pair of flame tails). Geophagus are also pretty placid.

Mating Slinkys 05-04-2007 01:31 PM

The kribs and angel fish seem to be pretty happy living with each other at the moment, but it might be better to leave the kribs in the smaller tank and base the new tank around the angels...

Falina 05-04-2007 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mating Slinkys
The kribs and angel fish seem to be pretty happy living with each other at the moment, but it might be better to leave the kribs in the smaller tank and base the new tank around the angels...

If they are doing well just now you could keep them together.

The rams and apistos were good recommendations, but just be careful not to overstock because as I'm sure you know, the angels are going to get big.

Mating Slinkys 05-04-2007 06:55 PM

Quote:

but just be careful not to overstock because as I'm sure you know, the angels are going to get big.
Yeah, i'm looking forward to it, i love the stately look of a big pair of angels. I'm rather poor at the moment after getting this tank, but hopefully i'll be getting a larger one in the fulness of time. the angels are only 4 and 5cm a the moment so i hope i've got some time to save up - how fast do they grow?

and is it just meor are tanks addictive, i've only been keeping fish for about 6 monts and i've already got three. not sure how many more my housemate'll put up with.

Falina 05-04-2007 07:07 PM

[quote="Mating Slinkys"]
Quote:

and is it just meor are tanks addictive, i've only been keeping fish for about 6 monts and i've already got three. not sure how many more my housemate'll put up with.
Not just you - they are addioctive! :)

leifthebunny 05-05-2007 07:41 PM

[quote="Julie"]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mating Slinkys
Quote:

Not just you - they are addioctive! :)

I bought 3 tanks this week (90g, 2* 12g), so I'd agree. :P ;)

christopherhicks 05-13-2007 02:11 AM

I ran out of room so I bought my mom a tank for mothers day. I have 2 and have only been keeping fish for about three months.

Lupin 05-13-2007 04:14 AM

Angels are very fast growers. Some may claim they aren't but I have troubles with them growing faster than what I expected and for their habit of being eager to breed. Angels become sexually mature by 9 months but it depends on the strains you get. Blushing and ghost strains may take longer than that. Your angels should reach 4 inches at 8-9 months of age. I can only presume yours are barely 6 months, possibly 4-5 months.

Mating Slinkys 05-15-2007 07:42 PM

They are Koi angels, not sure how old they are, i'l have to go with your guesses there!