Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   A dull background on tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/dull-background-tank-5614/)

me12 05-04-2007 12:00 PM

A dull background on tank

For several months I have been trying to work out why the background of my tank looks dull. When the water is not in the tank the background picture looks bright and vibrant, but when I put the water in its all dull. It is a 30 gallon tank and the water is crystal clear. My other tank is slightly smaller with similar backing and looks bright and vibrant. Any suggestions? The hood has two new florescent bulbs in and I have tried swapping bulbs, to no affect. Could it be the quantity of the water?

Amphitrite 05-04-2007 12:02 PM

If it's an outside plastic backing paper, then a good method of getting it to look clear is to smear some cooking oil over the back of the tank and then smooth it down using a credit card.

me12 05-04-2007 01:28 PM

what a good idea! Do many people do that?

Mating Slinkys 05-04-2007 01:30 PM

Cunning! Might try that on one of mine! (the other has a dark blue carrier bag held on with gaffer tape so i'll give that one a miss...)

me12 05-04-2007 02:24 PM

Well I have tried it, it works really well. I am a bit concerned about the fish, though. I kinda, dropped a bit of oil in the tank :oops: . I nearly had a fit. It says that sunflower oil is good for the heart on the bottle or something. I hope its good for angel fish hearts! Thankfully it floats on the top, so I got most of it out, anyway. It's difficult to get to the back of my tank. If ever I buld a tank into an alcove again, I shall remember to leave more room for maintenance. Thanks for you help.

willow 05-04-2007 02:29 PM

hi
i put my backing inside the tank,
because i can't get to the back,the tanks too big.

me12 05-04-2007 02:33 PM

I like your Gold Severum, kateyoup!

I thought putting the backing inside, but thought it would be tricky. I think if I tried that I would end up with it floating round the tank.

willow 05-04-2007 02:51 PM

hi
i thought i would have the same problem,
however i found the water helped to stick it to the glass.
:)

me12 05-04-2007 02:59 PM

Hi
I found that water tends to evaporate and some backing sticks and other doesn't, leaving pockets of variation. The oil seems to work quite well, so far, but I will need new backing because this one is damaged.

willow 05-04-2007 03:08 PM

hi
i think the oil will work well,as i have
read quite a lot of people using this method.
or make your own,
you could paint a strip of paper with an oil based paint.
that should show up well also.(but keep it on the outside)