Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Nano Reef (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/nano-reef/)
-   -   Beginner with Saltwater: Would like to start a 2 gallon pico reef (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/nano-reef/beginner-saltwater-would-like-start-2-a-56133/)

Backer 11-24-2010 08:39 PM

Beginner with Saltwater: Would like to start a 2 gallon pico reef

Hey guys,

I have been keeping freshwater aquariums for about 4 years now, but have never dealt with saltwater and would LOVE to have a huge salt water tank someday but being as I am a student I don't have the money for it. I was wondering where I could get some good information on first off how/where to start as far as a small 2 gallon pico should go. And second what type of coral could I keep in it. I only want some coral. So in short If someone could help me by telling me or pointing me in the right direction for these type of questions:

Filtration for a 2 gallon pico?
Lighting?
Live rock? (what is it?)
Substrate?
Temp/parameters?
Compatible coral life?
Does cycling apply to starting a salt tank?
Maintenance?
Basic Rundown of what I should expect?

Just want to make sure I have the knowledge base before I dive in with my time and money, Thanks for any and all help in advance :)

Pasfur 11-24-2010 09:24 PM

This topic comes up from time to time on the forum and the conversation always goes in the same direction. Unfortunately it seems that this topic causes more ill feelings than any other topic. The reason is that the answer to the question is not at all what the original poster wants to hear. For that, I will apologize in advance. Nevertheless, it does not change the response.

Saltwater aquariums become FAR more difficult to care for as they get smaller. In fact, most of us with any level of experience would never dream of setting up a tank smaller than 10 gallons, unless we were doing so to challenge our skills as a marine aquarists.

If space is an issue, then I would suggest a 15 gallon tank, which has the same footprint as a 10 gallon but is taller. The additional height will allow for a 4'' sand bed without taking away from the appearance of the tank, and will allow for added height to form a quality reef structure. This tank size will give you a reasonable chance at success and increase the odds that you will enjoy the marine hobby for many years to come.

Backer 11-24-2010 10:52 PM

Thanks and now I know :) I have enough on my plate as a full time student so I will probably not pursue it. I have a 2 gallon tank not being used so I was curious.

brandon429 11-25-2010 09:12 PM

Its true about the size of a tank allowing for errors, an alternate method is to follow a strict set of rules to try and prevent mistakes then small tanks can work...your request is exactly how I started, with just corals and a shrimp or two and a goal for an affordable and balanced system. google 'the history of pico reef biology' it has the vids and stuff. I hadn't seen TF's new upgraded board this is my first post in a while nice to meet you all.

I am going to go start a thread about water changes and heavy stocking in the one gallon reef to update one way of making small tanks work, but when I have a chance to recommend a larger tank it comes with much more peace of mind than a tiny tank. I still like tiny tanks better though because they are less work and far cheaper, ive learned not to keep fish and i am missing that side of the hobby as another tradeoff for micro reefing...
B