Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   DIY Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/diy-aquarium/)
-   -   advise on tank repair (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/diy-aquarium/advise-tank-repair-55988/)

ram50 11-22-2010 07:57 PM

advise on tank repair

today my good friend had a seam give out on his 65 gal tank. From what we can see is that his stand didnt support the center of the tank well enough and the bottom and front glass seperated in the center of the front glass. looks like the bottom pulled away. he gave the tank to me and I would like to repair it and then build a stand that will support it properly.

My question is can I use 100% silicone to repair where the front glass and the bottom came apart and then with proper support should I have any worries about another leak?

it was a marine tank with lots of rock and sand. I plan to use it as a SW tank. We had to setup my 10g to put 3 rocks, 2 fish,and 1 shrimp into so they wouldnt die and the rest of his fish and rocks went to the LFS

bearwithfish 11-23-2010 10:18 AM

yeah just clean it real good removing as much of the old seal as you can themn scrob with some isopropal alcohol .. reseal with 100% silicone (i use typw 1 but other say 2 is fine) after it sets for 24-48 hours (48 being better) you are ready to water test it.... with good support you will not likely have another issue with it...

redchigh 11-23-2010 12:28 PM

Remember to add a thin continuous line of sealant where the glass comes together, and then more on the inside corner after they come together... (If that makes sense)

ram50 11-23-2010 02:26 PM

Thanks for the replies!! i'll be getting the tank home today. maybe over the long weekend I can work on it.

ram50 11-23-2010 02:30 PM

oh yeah also.... When I'm putting the silicone on where the bottom and front mate should I put a slight bit of pressure on it....say like a clamp to pull the two together?

redchigh 11-23-2010 03:30 PM

As far as I know, most tanks have the sides rest on top of the bottom...

As for pressure, you are going to have to tape the glass up. The tap should hold it plenty.
If you pressed it, you would have to be careful to keep it pressed.

Also, is it an option to make the front into the back?
If so, maybe you could use epoxy?

edenn1423 11-23-2010 03:31 PM

I thought I had repaired my 75 bowfront once, it had the same problem. 4 days after the repair I woke up to 40 gallons in my carpet. The seam reopened. Long story short, I took apart every seal and rebuilt the whole tank from scratch. It worked for a year until I sold it to a friend, and is still fine 3 years later. After sealing it, I would test it full of water for a week. I have seen others reccoment 24-72 hours which is what I followed and ended up with a mess. GOOD LUCK!

ram50 11-23-2010 03:33 PM

the back of the tank is painted black so I have no option on turning it around. would have been nice.

ram50 11-23-2010 03:36 PM

edenn1423. thats what im worried about. I paln to remove as much as possable and repair it. Will probably let it sit with water for a couple weeks cause I still have other stuff to get for the SW setup

edenn1423 11-23-2010 06:07 PM

Definitely. you will notice that when you disassemble the tank there are really thin spacers in between each pane of glass, this is to ensure that enough silicone adheres to the glass. either make an attempt to save them or get some new ones or something similar. if you clamp everything together without them you will squeeze out the silicone and there will not be a sufficient bond. be careful, follow the instructions and test test test.