Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   stocking ideas (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/stocking-ideas-55983/)

luckysarah 11-22-2010 06:22 PM

stocking ideas

i set up a used 55 gallon this morning. It will have sand substrate, with a good amount of live plants/rocks. it will be on the cooler side (70 to 72).

I am planning it for montezumae swords (they are wild swords that are a bit larger and a little more aggressive then regular swords) and hopefully planning to breed them.

Wondering if their is anything interesting I could house with them that would compliment them... since there will only be 5 initially and they take up to a year to fully mature and breed... might be a bit of a wait lol.

Almost forgot my water is hard and ph is 7.4

amberjade 11-23-2010 05:20 AM

Depends on what you want to do with the other fish when your swords start breeding - you looking for something for more long term or just for now?
Posted via Mobile Device

luckysarah 11-23-2010 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amberjade (Post 518689)
Depends on what you want to do with the other fish when your swords start breeding - you looking for something for more long term or just for now?
Posted via Mobile Device

Long term, I was trying to think of some kind of large(or a group of smaller) algae/plant eater that was reliably peaceful.

1077 11-23-2010 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luckysarah (Post 518721)
Long term, I was trying to think of some kind of large(or a group of smaller) algae/plant eater that was reliably peaceful.

I don't think you meant ,plant eater but rather an algae eater?
Perhaps a Bristlenose Pleco,Florida flag fish,or Rainbow cichlids could work. Would remove female sword to another tank when she looked fat with eggs to prevent predation by both the fish mentioned ,and the swords themselves. After the female dropped fry, then you could give her a little time to rest before removing her from the fry tank and placing her back in the 55 gallon.
with floating plant's in the grow out tank ,and or the 55 gallon,, I should think many fry could survive but for this species,,I might be tempted to raise the fry in another smaller tank to preserve as many as possible.
If the breeding stock you are beginning with are quite small,, then the bristlenose and perhaps some cory's would be my choice at least until the Swords got larger.

luckysarah 11-23-2010 07:25 AM

Thanks I have never had cory's

Might have to do some research

PRichs87 11-23-2010 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luckysarah (Post 518727)
Thanks I have never had cory's

Might have to do some research

Love cories, you could get a solid school in a 55 gallon too.