Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Dying Loach. New Tank Syndrome? Trauma? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/dying-loach-new-tank-syndrome-trauma-5595/)

drag 05-03-2007 06:59 PM

Dying Loach. New Tank Syndrome? Trauma?

Please help.

On Monday I tested my tank to find that it had 20 ppm nitrates, 0 Nitrite, 0 hardness (very soft), 0 Alkalinity, and 6.4 ph. I thought my tank had cycled, its only been up for about a week, but its planted, I used ro water, and started it with cycle, and my betta.

Yesterday I bought a kuhli loach, everything seemed fine, but suddenly tonight it started to swim around quickly upside down and in circles. I tested the water again, seemed fine (I use of the Quick Dip 5 in 1 strips). now he/she is sitting next to me in a small bowl with ro water and cycle, mixed with just a little of the tank water.

Its face underneath looks purplish, and its swimming (franctically?) around and around the bowl, mostly upside down.

The temp of my aquarium is 78

What do I do? :cry:

Thanks.

tophat665 05-03-2007 07:29 PM

Sounds like PH stress. I have had mixed success with kuhlis. I know with yoyos, if the pH changes too quickly (like they are introduced into a tank with a PH fairly different from the one they came from), they get red noses and croak.

mr.bojangles 05-03-2007 08:09 PM

loaches are a bad eary stage fish cuz they need aged aquariums, mimimum of 2 months. this is because they hav no scales

Lupin 05-03-2007 08:13 PM

I dare say the OP must buy liquid test kit, not test strips. Test strips are often misleading.

drag 05-03-2007 08:44 PM

*sigh* I shouldn't have gotten that loach, of the three the shop had gotten in, one was dead in the tank, one was acting REALLY strange (shop guy said probably trauma from the rock in the tank) and there was mine.

I just don't understand how my water/tank could have been bad--I know that its not a fish to start with, but all the readings were great. And the nitrate reading of 20 ppm indicated that it already cycled because the ammonia would have had to convert to nitrite then to nitrate to get a reading. And the 0 nitrite level should have meant there was little to no ammonia.

D@mn. (Excuse me, I'm upset) Maybe I'm just not getting it. I know that the bacteria also has to build up, but with the addition of cycle and the plants which came from set up aquariums there should have been a stable colony of bacteria as well.

I guess I do need to get the liquid test kit to make sure.

Thanks.

mr.bojangles 05-03-2007 08:46 PM

personally i never test my water ... but i wait at least 2 weeks between getting new fish ... and i know wen to get wat fish ... personally i never get any kind of loach or botia until my tanks been up for at least 3 months. there were alot of better fish u could have added

Lupin 05-03-2007 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.bojangles
personally i never test my water ... but i wait at least 2 weeks between getting new fish ... and i know wen to get wat fish ... personally i never get any kind of loach or botia until my tanks been up for at least 3 months. there were alot of better fish u could have added

Then how are your fish? The time cycling finishes varies so there is no telling the tank has cycled in 2 weeks or less.

Drag: You need to get your liquid test kit first before you worry about the actual results.;) The results posted may not be what you think they are. Check your ammonia as well. It wasn't in your first post.

mr.bojangles 05-04-2007 02:23 PM

[quote="Lupin]Then how are your fish? The time cycling finishes varies so there is no telling the tank has cycled in 2 weeks or less.[quote]

my fish r fine ... my tanks water levels are good enough for rams to breed in. it ma vary but the average time for the nitrogen cycle is 10 days

drag 05-04-2007 02:53 PM

Thank you Lupin.

I'm going to take a sample of my water to the petco near me (the manager knows fish and I've known her for a while and trust her) to get it tested on sat. after work.

Unfortunately my strips don't test for ammonia. *sigh* I guess I just assumed that with the change over from nitrites to nitrates that the ammonia would be low, that was the only change registered on my strips from the base reading I got on the clean ro water. And with the added cycle, plants, and betta, I got over confident. So yes, I WILL be getting the ammonia kit as well.

And Bo, I couldn't add a different kind of fish first, that tank is only going to be for the betta and kuhli loaches.

Thanks,
Drag