Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   bubbles... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/bubbles-559/)

fiona 09-21-2006 10:49 AM

bubbles...

iv got a bubble disk in my tank.
it looks great as the bubbles come out of the 'old style' pipe i have in the tank. :D

my boyfriend thinks that these bubble are stressing out the fish but from what i can see the like it.
none of them are having any trouble, they all look happy but he's got it in his head they dont like it :roll:

surely in the wild they would have areas where bubbles are popping out all over the place?

iv seen loads of people with them, but he's got it in my head now that they are not happy.

any thoughts????? :?

Dizlal 09-21-2006 11:00 AM

Unless they are very strong, large bubbles they should'nt cause a problem, try turning the pump down a bit. 8)

fiona 09-21-2006 11:02 AM

they are very small bubbles in a constant stream.
most of the fish seem to like swimmin through them, it quite funny!!
i turn the pump off at nite though so they have some time with out.

Dizlal 09-21-2006 11:06 AM

Why do you turn it off at night?

fiona 09-21-2006 11:08 AM

habbit i pose. they get turned off when i turn the light off
do ya fink they are best left on all the time then?

Dizlal 09-21-2006 11:12 AM

Yes, it is advisable to leave them on 24/7, but not necessary.

crazie.eddie 09-21-2006 12:45 PM

Bubbles create movement in the water and with the action of the bubbles breaking on the surface oxygenates the water, therefore, can help a tank with low O2. If you experience your fish frequently going to the surface as if they were gasping for air, then there is a strong possibility that the water needs to be oxygenated. Otherwise, you can use it if you like. Some people like the looks of bubbles in their tank. I don't really like the look of the bubbles, so I put my air pump on a timer and only turn on the bubbles at night. The reason is, I have plants in the tank. Plants take in CO2 (carbon dioxide) during the day and take in O2 (oxygen) at night, which is the reason I only turn on the air pump at night.

fiona 09-21-2006 01:12 PM

ah thats interesting
the fish are fine they just swmin about as normal but when the bubbles are on the tend to swim throught the bubbles, guess they like it

dprUsh83 09-21-2006 01:58 PM

Just curious, how do you go about hooking one of these up? Could I put it behind the plants in the back of the tank where you don't even see it?

crazie.eddie 09-21-2006 03:14 PM

The bubbles are hide to hide, but the airstone, you can place anywhere you want. When I used airstones, I placed it under the gravel so you cannot even see them.