Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   What about wave boxes? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/what-about-wave-boxes-55884/)

JohnnyD 11-21-2010 12:00 PM

What about wave boxes?

Has anyone heard anything about these wave boxes, positive or negative? I am thinking about building one for my next tank but wanted to get some feedback on them first. I know they are very pricey, which is why i plan on building one (shouldnt be hard). I figure that waveboxes better simulate the ocean than powerheads, and i think they wave motion is cool lookin anyway haha. Does this pose any problems with sumps or overflow or anything?

Any feedback or experiences with a wavebox will be greatly appreciated!

heres a youtube vid of a DIY one if anyone is interested...

Ostara 11-22-2010 02:39 PM

I think it's a neat idea, but he doesn't seem to have gone about it in the best way. The tank seems too short to me; a longer tank would allow for a slower, more even movement that is more reminiscent of actual waves. The motion he has going in the video is more like a washing machine tossing those poor fish around. They don't look too thrilled about it to me. I wonder if the corals still benefit from the movement or if it's too fast for them as well.

It seems covering the waterline with some sort of canopy would be necessary. The movement really distracts from what's actually in the tank, which is what you're supposed to be looking at anyways. Then again, as one YouTube commenter said it seems like the guy built it primarily because he thinks it's cool, so maybe none of that matters to him.

Any of the SW people out there have input on this?

JohnnyD 11-23-2010 06:46 AM

Yea, i agree this wavebox is a little bit too much. I wouldnt want it to be this intense. The waveboxes ive seen at the LFS in their display tanks arent nearly as intense as this and hardly moved the water surface from what i could tell. maybe a smaller wavebox for the coral swaying effect, and a powerhead or two?

bearwithfish 11-23-2010 07:51 AM

that is the sickest vis i have seen in some time!!! withe the euro bracing i can see how he gets away with the intensity... i really wish they had gone more into the build of it.... i tihnk its very doable just need to figure out the basics of the build and tweek to fit your needs

JohnnyD 11-23-2010 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearwithfish (Post 518738)
that is the sickest vis i have seen in some time!!! withe the euro bracing i can see how he gets away with the intensity... i really wish they had gone more into the build of it.... i tihnk its very doable just need to figure out the basics of the build and tweek to fit your needs

yea i think i found a DIY tutorial online that the same guy posted when building this exact one. I was thinking maybe smaller and lower. honestly, im not too fond of the surface wave. im more interested in the swaying of the corals