Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Middle strata fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/middle-strata-fish-55862/)

The Game 11-20-2010 11:51 PM

Middle strata fish

Hey I just want to know what kind of fish would fit all these requirments.
-Can live in a 3ft 30gallon tank
-Must swim in the middle strata most, if not all of the time
-Can live with female betta
-Will tolerate fairly strong lighting
I really need some fish to fill up the middle of the tank as I have a lot of bottom feeders. I dont mind if the fish will school or if they are a solitary fish. I wouldnt mind a tetra or a cichlid. They will have to be able to live with kuhli loaches, corydoras and a bristlenose pleco. As well as 3 female bettas. Ive been going nuts trying to figure what fish to put in. Most of the tetras like subdued lighting and most of them like to be nearer to the substrate. I could try putting in some plants that will grow to the surface and block off some light. I was thinking of maybe a blue ram cichlid but they like to be near the substrate as well. Any suggestions?

kitten_penang 11-21-2010 09:10 AM

umm 3 feet or 30 gallons?? if im not mistaken a 3 footer is 90 gallons.
maybe the larger black phantom tetra will fill in that place nicely

thefishboy 11-21-2010 09:41 AM

3ft cab be 30g mine is 2 anda half foot and mines 27g..

Byron 11-21-2010 12:40 PM

My 33g is 3 feet, so that is comparable. May I ask why the light is "bright?" All of the fish you currently have would be much happier with minimal light. And betta should have floating plants so they can browse the dangling roots naturally. Reducing the light opens up more options for mid-water fish.

And on that note, several of the mid-size tetra in the Hemigrammus clade [Hemigrammus and Hyphessobrycon genera] would be admirable: Rosy Tetra, Bentosi Tetra, phantoms as someone mentioned, Hemigrammus pulcher, Head and Tail Light Tetra, etc. All these are in our profiles, second tab from the left in the blue bar.

Byron.

The Game 11-21-2010 11:58 PM

yea it is a 3foot 30 gallon tank. yea well i bought all the things for a project in which i grew rice and i wanted a bright light so that the rice would grow well (they still didnt grow well...) i know that minimal light opens up the options, thats why i regret buying such a bright light. i just called up my LFS and they said that they have head and tail lights, as well as black phantoms. ill go with either one of them and im planning to plant some wisteria and some pennywort, hoping that they will grow tot he surface and provide some cover. i cant seem to find any floating plants here in melbourne and not luck either on austrlian online stores. any suggestions for plants that can help subdue the lighting?

The Game 11-22-2010 12:07 AM

oh yea just some extra information, the light has two tubes, 39W each and its T5

kitten_penang 11-22-2010 10:16 AM

must be the longish type =) any floating plant would be good =)

Byron 11-22-2010 01:15 PM

That is a lot of light. I expect one tube won't light if the second is taken out, correct? Some fixtures will, others won't.

On floating plants, many of the stem plants work well floating, particularly Pennywort. Just lay the stems across the surface, they will grow like weeds but are easily thinned weekly by snipping off the lower ("Bottom" ends, leaving the tops to continue growing. Wisteria will also grow on the surface. Or you can plant these in the substrate and let them grow up and across the surface; the only drawback of this is that lower leaves get less light and tend to die off, leaving bare stems. Other plants that require less light (crypts, Anubias, Java Fern) can be used on the substrate.

Byron.