Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Addicted Newbie!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/addicted-newbie-55848/)

Feisty 11-20-2010 06:59 PM

Addicted Newbie!!

Hi Everyone!

I am new to fish keeping (under 6 months) and am COMPLETELY ADDICTED!!! How did this happen? Why is it soooo interesting?

It all started with a 100 Gallon Tank that my boyfriend gave me, added a 40 Gallon off of craigslist (because we had fry - so OF COURSE, we HAD to get another tank for them, to "save them"). Followed by two 20 Gallons - another CL score from a breeder that was done with his hobby and picking up a 55 Gallon tomorrow (thanks CL!)!

Should I be worried? Is this "hobby" becoming an "illness"? I just love it. I cannot wait to check every tank in the AM and rush home at night to see everyone too!

Currently I have the following:

100 Gallon:
1 Male Red Empress
4 Female Red Empress
2 Pleco
1 Cory
1 Oto Cat
3 Harlequin Rasbora
1 Glow light Tetra
1 Giraffe Cichlid (Small and deformed - but he was so sweet, I HAD to take him home...)
1 Electric Blue Crayfish (small and currently molting a ton!)
1 Celebese Rainbow
5 Assorted Small Danios
3 Giant Danios
3 Paradise Fish
And yes, I know this is an unusual mix, but everyone is holding their own...

40 Gallon:
35 -3/4" Red Empress Fry
12 - 1/2" Red Empress Fry
2 - Reticulated Butterfly Loaches
3 - YOUNG Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlids (Im super excited about these because these were what I REALLY wanted when I started the tank and just FINALLY found them!!!)
4 - Green Swordtails.

20 Gallon:
1 Large Female Electric Blue Crayfish - I think my small one in the 100 Gallon is a Male and I ran across her, so I thought... Hmmmm, wonder what "baby" crayfish would be like LOL! (my male is way too small to introduce them, so we are waiting...)

20 Gallon:
1 - Male Red Empress
2 - "REJECT" Albino Strawberry Peacock Cichlid Females "Reject because they have dark eyes" - I took these from someone that gave me a tank and I thought it would be interesting to see what happened if I put a Male Red Empress in there with these two females. A batch is "brewing".... So time will tell!

I am happy to be here and cannot wait to meet friends on this forum!

luckysarah 11-20-2010 07:05 PM

You are not alone lol

I need more tanks too and I am fairly new back into the hobby, but of course there is always fry to save and always a new species that you just have to have lol.

but hey if you are going to do something might as well do it all the way right.

zof 11-20-2010 07:10 PM

Boy and I thought I was bad with 3 tanks, :D I think this is a very healthy hobby for most people and quiet an interesting ones too. I think the key to keeping this hobby healthy is to set a hard number of tanks you are allowed to keep at 1 time, for me and my space and time I think this number will stay at 3.

This of course doesn't mean I cant upgrade my 10 gallon to a 55 gallon, it just means I need to put the 10 in storage or sell it so I stay at my limit.

So set a number and stick with it, and concentrate on those and making them better.

BTW welcome to TFK, enjoy your stay and obsession!

Feisty 11-20-2010 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zof (Post 516918)
Boy and I thought I was bad with 3 tanks, :D I think this is a very healthy hobby for most people and quiet an interesting ones too. I think the key to keeping this hobby healthy is to set a hard number of tanks you are allowed to keep at 1 time, for me and my space and time I think this number will stay at 3.

This of course doesn't mean I cant upgrade my 10 gallon to a 55 gallon, it just means I need to put the 10 in storage or sell it so I stay at my limit.

So set a number and stick with it, and concentrate on those and making them better.

BTW welcome to TFK, enjoy your stay and obsession!

Lol, I guess that means that I can put as many tanks as I can fit in my "non-useful" dining room"? Or maybe when my boyfriend tells me "that's enough"?

I do think the one I am picking up tomorrow, will be the last for a while. I should have enough tanks then to keep everyone separate and raise the various groups of fry.
Posted via Mobile Device

aunt kymmie 11-20-2010 08:17 PM

Welcome to TFK, Fiesty. You are NOT alone, lol. I'm at five and holding. We're glad you joined us! :-)

Romad 11-20-2010 10:03 PM

Hi Feisty,

Welcome to the addiction. I'm at 8 and holding (until we build the family room - then my 45 gal. hex gets set up again).

Nice to meet you :wave:

willow 11-22-2010 04:39 PM

hello and welcome.
two tanks here,and a vivarium. :)

Byron 11-22-2010 07:54 PM

Welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum. Glad to have you join us.

Byron.

Feisty 11-25-2010 02:51 PM

Thanks everybody!

underh2o 11-25-2010 03:18 PM

Good for you!!! Enjoy the hobby!!