Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/forum.php)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   My gourami is just hovering in the same position!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/my-gourami-just-hovering-same-position-55816/)

underwaterking 11-20-2010 04:46 AM

My gourami is just hovering in the same position!!

Help!
My gourami is at the bottom of the tank, just hovering there.I put some food in and he didn't go up to eat! What's wrong?
Temp:24ºC , 75.2 F
Nitrate:25-30
Nitrite: 0

Byron 11-20-2010 04:38 PM

That does not sound good, but to diagnose the possibly problem we need more information. How long have you had this fish, what is the tank size, what other fish are in the tank? If the gourami is not new, has any fish been very recently added? Do yo have live plants, esp floating plants?

underwaterking 11-21-2010 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 516834)
That does not sound good, but to diagnose the possibly problem we need more information. How long have you had this fish, what is the tank size, what other fish are in the tank? If the gourami is not new, has any fish been very recently added? Do yo have live plants, esp floating plants?

I've had him for about 1-2 weeks. it's a 56L . I have 4 guppys. No, he is the latest addition. I have live plants, and one floating plant.
Thanks for the response.

Byron 11-21-2010 11:00 AM

Nothing jumps out at me, so I'll mention some possibilities.

I forgot to ask how you introduced him to the tank; if there was significant variance between the bag water and the tank, this could have caused shock and this can manifest itself days or even weeks later. Or, the fish may have something, either an internal health problem or an injury.

Another possible, are any of the guppies "bothering" the gourami? A new fish is sometimes the focus of pestering, leading to stress, or even outright attacks.

I can't think of anything else, given the info you provided. I hope it recovers.

Byron.

underwaterking 11-21-2010 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 517297)
Nothing jumps out at me, so I'll mention some possibilities.

I forgot to ask how you introduced him to the tank; if there was significant variance between the bag water and the tank, this could have caused shock and this can manifest itself days or even weeks later. Or, the fish may have something, either an internal health problem or an injury.

Another possible, are any of the guppies "bothering" the gourami? A new fish is sometimes the focus of pestering, leading to stress, or even outright attacks.

I can't think of anything else, given the info you provided. I hope it recovers.

Byron.

I acclimated him with a method that has never failed me, but maybe the water was too different. The guppies aren't bothering him at all.
Thanks again for your interest