Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   just to say hi with a few questions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/just-say-hi-few-questions-558/)

connord182 09-21-2006 06:29 AM

just to say hi with a few questions

hi, im new to this forum, but not completely new to fish keeping. ia while ago i got a ten gallon and was looking for a good mix of fish for that. i was hoping to incorporate gouramis as my main fish in the tank. any suggestions on what fish to get for it? the tank has been cycleing for a while now and is in perfect condition. thanks

Amphitrite 09-21-2006 06:43 AM

Re: just to say hi with a few questions

Quote:

Originally Posted by connord182
hi, im new to this forum, but not completely new to fish keeping. ia while ago i got a ten gallon and was looking for a good mix of fish for that. i was hoping to incorporate gouramis as my main fish in the tank. any suggestions on what fish to get for it? the tank has been cycleing for a while now and is in perfect condition. thanks

Welcome to fishforum.com connord182

Could you give a little more information about the tank please:

water stats i.e. ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH readings, and also how are you cycling the tank?

Katherine :)

crazie.eddie 09-21-2006 11:51 AM

Regular gouramis will get big for a 10 gallon tank. They will also get aggressive. Dwarf gouramis are more peaceful and remain small.

Keep in mind, there is a general rule of 1" of fish for every 1 gallon of water. Therefore, you should not exceed 10" of fish in a 10 gallon tank. Typically, this is calculated for normal long, narrow bodied fish, such as tetras, danios, rasboras, etc. Wide bodied fish, such as angelfish and discus are usually given about 2"-3" of fish for every 1 gallon of water. Unfortunately some fish also have minimum tank requirements.

There are excpetions as well as far as stocking. It is possible to exceed the stocking limits if you have a balance tank, such as top/middle dwellers (gouramis, angelfish, discus, etc.) and also having bottom dwelling fish (plecos, loaches, etc.). Both types will not interfere with each others areas. Keep in mind that if a person were to exceed the stocking limits, you must have more than adequate filtration and must keep up with tank maintenance.

nikkisan 09-21-2006 01:36 PM

Hi there,

Is this your first tank? If not, how many tanks do you have, and what type of species do you keep. Gouramis are beautiful fish. I have three of them in my 120 gallon tank. I have two dwarf, and a pearl (along with a lot of other fish). I agree that with a 10 gallon tank you would want to stick with a couple of the dwarf gouramis. To answer your question about what you could house with them, I would put a small school of maybe rummy nose tetras, or lemon tetras, or some other peaceful schooling fish. I would maybe also add one cory cat as a bottom feeder, and see how that goes. You are pretty limited with a 10 gallon, but it still has a lot of potential as long as you stick to smaller fish, and do regular water changes. Good luck, and let us know what you decide on.

connord182 09-22-2006 09:45 PM

k my tanks stats are ph:7 amonia:0 nitrate:0 nitrite 5ppm i might have mixed up nitrate and nitrite im not sure though. im cycleing the tank with two neons. i figured it would be enough the get the bio filter established. i was thinking about getting two-three dwarf gourami, and a school of about 5-6 neons. but im still looking for suggestions. i like to do theme tanks like with a mian piece or peices. i.e. bigger fish that will stand out with littler fish in the backgroung. . if anyone knows any good combinations like that it doesnt matter if there are gouramis or not! lol the tank is setup well and planted well with a centerpeice of fake driftwood. this is not my first tank although i have never worked with anything larger, but i am pretty good at fishkeeping. and advice is greatly apprecitated. thanks!!

joeshmoe 09-22-2006 09:55 PM

neons? there not the best to cycle your tank with. 2 dwarf Gourami and 6 neons should be good

Lupin 09-22-2006 11:04 PM

I'm certain your nitrites is 0 and nitrates is 5. It's quite rare for nitrites to reach 5 ppm which will already kill your fish.
Conversion of substances by bacteria:
Ammonia->Nitrites->Nitrates

Both dwarf gouramis and neons are not very hardy. Maintain your ammonia and nitrites by zero or else you'll risk those fish to death due to toxic substances like ammonia and nitrites.
Ammonia is more toxic at higher pH(above 7)

Tracy 09-23-2006 12:10 AM

If you go with dwarf gouramis you'll be okay. If you go for opaline gouramis, or gold, or blue gouramis, probably two in your ten gallon tank is enough. The "one inch of fish per gallon of tank water" rule can be stretched if you have an more-than-adequate filter' (a more powerful filter than what is recommended for the size of aquarium you have), and extra aeration. I was surprised, also, that you are cycling with neons, but if they are doing alright, that's great. It sounds like your aquarium is very pretty, with the driftwood and all.

connord182 09-23-2006 09:29 AM

yea i meant my nitrites were 0 and nitrates were 5. as for the neons they are doing very well. they are swimming a lot and seem happy. ill try to post a pic of my tank if i can later, but it will take a while as i am horrible with computers.