Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Fish keep disappearing (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/fish-keep-disappearing-55784/)

ctryluv 11-19-2010 04:58 PM

Fish keep disappearing

We are not sure what is going on, but every time we buy glofish or neons, within a day or two, they are gone, poof. Ive checked the filter and they arent in there, checked under aquarium decorations, around plants, etc. Anyone have any idea what could be going on?

Ostara 11-19-2010 05:13 PM

What else is in there? Anything that could be eating them?

Both fish can be jumpers, even if you have a hood. I've had neons bail out through the small opening where the filter sits, always at night. I assume that they got spooked by something and leaped. One I found in a bag of gravel next to the tank, and I believe my pesky kitten ate the others. I'd check around the tank thoroughly too, though if you have dogs and cats like I do you may not find them.

Blaxicanlatino 11-19-2010 05:39 PM

OMG i have this same problem!!!!!! in one of my tanks, i have fish that randomly vanish without a trace!!!!!!!!!!!! not in the filter or anything!!!!!! i only have guppys and cherry shrimps in the tank and thats it. so far, 3 guppys have vanished without a trace and i have one remaining. so far that one has been there for awhile. its creepy.....

cmc29 11-19-2010 06:02 PM

glowfish and neons are shoaling fish and do best in groups of 6 or more. How many at a time are you purchasing. If you are buying one or two at a time, then they are probably stressed out from not being in a group and this could be contributing to them disappearing.

How long have you had your aquarium running and how long have you had the fish in there? What other fish are in there?
What are your levels for:
ammonia
nitrite
nitrate

ctryluv 11-21-2010 02:33 PM

We usually have 4-6 at a time and they all disappear at the same time! I will hit walmart today and pick up some stuff to test the water with so I can get you that info and also write down the other types of fish we have in there. I do know there is one type of shark, a guppie, and one that looks like a catfish that hangs around the bottom, but Ill get all their names for you for sure. Thanks!!!

Angela

thefishboy 11-21-2010 02:53 PM

Catfish and shark and they are disapearing??!!! I think it may be the shark or pleco... What type of shark and pleco and how big..Also size of tetras...

Blaxicanlatino 11-21-2010 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefishboy (Post 517430)
Catfish and shark and they are disapearing??!!! I think it may be the shark or pleco... What type of shark and pleco and how big..Also size of tetras...

its weird cause there isnt a body...

jaysee 11-21-2010 07:59 PM

There wouldn't be a body if they are being eaten by the shark.

Mikaila31 11-21-2010 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blaxicanlatino (Post 516335)
OMG i have this same problem!!!!!! in one of my tanks, i have fish that randomly vanish without a trace!!!!!!!!!!!! not in the filter or anything!!!!!! i only have guppys and cherry shrimps in the tank and thats it. so far, 3 guppys have vanished without a trace and i have one remaining. so far that one has been there for awhile. its creepy.....

Cherry shrimp in any kind of numbers can deal with any small dead fish within 5-7 hours.

jaysee 11-21-2010 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikaila31 (Post 517654)
Cherry shrimp in any kind of numbers can deal with any small dead fish within 5-7 hours.

Same with snails.