Tropical Fish Keeping banner

C02 - Important?

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  saint 
#1 ·
I have about 5 plants in my 2fter. I have aquiried a C02 maker which came with no instructions.

Please correct me if I'm wrong here...

Inside the pot there are ridges of two different heights. The pot overall is about 8 inches high. the smallest ridge is like 2 inches, I believe this to be the level of the sugar? the highest ridge the level of the water maybe?

How much yeast do I need to add and where the hell do I get it from? lol

This thing comes with, what I can only describe as, a helter skelter type attachment on the end of the tube. I assume that the C02 bubbles follow this track and disolve into the water by the time it gets to the surface?

One other thing, do they even make a difference?

#2 ·
If you have really low light then CO2 won't be needed. But the more light you have the more you'll need CO2 cause your plants will not be healthy and they will start taking carbon from your buffer (your KH), causing your ph to fluctuate harming your fish. We have a diy Co2 thing and it's not even enough, though we have 2.6 watts per gallon. I would imagine those ridges probably are for water and sugar ,i use the recipe on this site, http://www.fishforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=805

You can get yeast at any grocery store, it's usually by the flour and sugar, it usually comes in a little brown glass bottle or packages of 3. At least here in Canada it does. Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.