Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   growning dwarf baby's tear on lava rock (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/growning-dwarf-babys-tear-lava-rock-55743/)

immune 11-18-2010 07:21 PM

growning dwarf baby's tear on lava rock

1 Attachment(s)
well, I have removed almost all of my plants. I have constructed a couple of "hills" made of lava rocks in one of my tanks. I was just wondering if I sporadically tied the baby's tear to different lava rock on my mounds if it would eventually grow together and cover all of the lava rocks or do I need to cover the whole thing initially?

underh2o 11-18-2010 07:25 PM

Let it grow!!!!

underh2o 11-18-2010 07:26 PM

You might want a few more plants!!! How is your lighting??

immune 11-18-2010 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underh2o (Post 515825)
You might want a few more plants!!! How is your lighting??

I plan to also put in some dwarf hair grass on the sand, anubias (both standard size and nano) on the rocks to break up the baby's tear, more Ludwigas in the background and maybe a Nymphea Lotus.....(though now that I type that as opposed to thinking it I realize that the Ludwigas and Lotus would pull all the attention to the bright red plants IF they were set together as I originally planned.)

I think my lights are okay. I have two 18" Florasun lights. They grow plants fairly well. To be honest I am not comfortable with upgrading my lighting as my Bichir will not appreciate it and after all, it is really HIS tank :D.

redchigh 11-21-2010 01:07 PM

I'm interested in this-
Dwarf baby tears typically require extremely high light and fert levels... Every time I try, it dissolves in a matter of weeks.

I gave up on it. Personally, it makes no sense.. I can grow purple cabomba and alternanthera, but no dwarf baby tears.

SinCrisis 11-22-2010 11:29 AM

same experience as redchigh, HC is super hard to grow properly, i have a petco near me that has it on lava rocks, but i have no idea how they do it, they say they are using standard t8 bulbs of an unknown spectrum and dont dose ferts. I got it once, but the HC quickly died off. Water conditions might need to be very good, but considering it was a petco, i dont know how good their water really is...

Blaxicanlatino 11-22-2010 01:57 PM

i hate baby tears in my 10 gallon, flurite sand, 30 watts, seachem flourish dose... it didnt grow at all but didnt die either.... eventually got rid of it

SinCrisis 11-22-2010 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blaxicanlatino (Post 518139)
i hate baby tears in my 10 gallon, flurite sand, 30 watts, seachem flourish dose... it didnt grow at all but didnt die either.... eventually got rid of it

more success than me, my light is moderate, ~2watts per gallon at 6700k. People have told me that I need to have really High light, around 4 or even 5 watts per gallon to get it to grow :-/

Lawns of this stuff just looks absolutely stunning. Def give it a try, if you are successful, make sure you share your secret with us.

Blaxicanlatino 11-22-2010 04:40 PM

Correction on my last post. I meant to say "have" not "hate" X(
Posted via Mobile Device

redchigh 11-23-2010 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SinCrisis (Post 518032)
same experience as redchigh, HC is super hard to grow properly, i have a petco near me that has it on lava rocks, but i have no idea how they do it, they say they are using standard t8 bulbs of an unknown spectrum and dont dose ferts. I got it once, but the HC quickly died off. Water conditions might need to be very good, but considering it was a petco, i dont know how good their water really is...

It's probably not in their tanks for more than a week....