Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Platy (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/platy-5572/)

speterso 05-01-2007 05:07 PM

questions

Hi, I'm new to this, so excuse me if I'm asking in the wrong place, but I had just purchased a pregnant platy. They advised that I get a breeding tank, in which I did. I put the platy in the breeding tank only yesterday and she had the babies today. However, the fry swam up through the grills and she ate them, which I know she will do, but I'm not sure why they swam up as I was told they would stay down under the grills, hiding in the plants I had placed there. Some didn't make it of course, before they even were able to swim (still in a ball)-which I was told they would pop out & swim in only seconds, so I assume those that didn't aren't alive. I'm quite disappointed as my daughter & I would have at least like to have had one that survived, so my next question is how soon can I put her with the male that I have and how long will it be before she could be having more? (I think the next time I will remove the mother after seeing a couple fry swimming)...what do you think? I appreciate any advice anyone has for me. Thanks!

xxthrwitdwnxx 05-01-2007 05:55 PM

Re: questions

Quote:

Originally Posted by speterso
Hi, I'm new to this, so excuse me if I'm asking in the wrong place, but I had just purchased a pregnant platy. They advised that I get a breeding tank, in which I did. I put the platy in the breeding tank only yesterday and she had the babies today. However, the fry swam up through the grills and she ate them, which I know she will do, but I'm not sure why they swam up as I was told they would stay down under the grills, hiding in the plants I had placed there. Some didn't make it of course, before they even were able to swim (still in a ball)-which I was told they would pop out & swim in only seconds, so I assume those that didn't aren't alive. I'm quite disappointed as my daughter & I would have at least like to have had one that survived, so my next question is how soon can I put her with the male that I have and how long will it be before she could be having more? (I think the next time I will remove the mother after seeing a couple fry swimming)...what do you think? I appreciate any advice anyone has for me. Thanks!

if im not mistaken u are supposed to take her out afterwards but then again i could be wrong

speterso 05-01-2007 06:05 PM

Thank you for the reply, I'm sure you are right, I just thought she was still having them, that's why I hadn't taken her out yet...I don't know how long it takes to have them all...I only noticed one swimming and she ate it while there were others on the bottom of the breeding tank still in balls, not open & swimming yet...and I didn't know how long that was going to take either...a learning experience for me I guess....thanks!!

xxthrwitdwnxx 05-01-2007 06:17 PM

no problem

plecofan 05-02-2007 03:53 PM

Sorry to hear that this didn't work out for you. Usually the fish do not swim back up - at least I have never had it happen. But I wouldn't worry - you will get to experience it again very soon. Platies are prolific breeders and it won't be long before you have another opportunity to have babies.

Between my two platies I think babies were being born every 3-4 weeks. I eventually had to get rid of my females because my tank was so heavily planted all the babies survived without being put in a breeding tank.

Sorry for your loss and goodluck for next time.

speterso 05-02-2007 03:57 PM

Thank you for your reply...I didn't think they would swim up either, and so I was told from the store that they wouldn't either, but I actually witnessed this...so goes my luck! Oh well, yes, I'm learning that it won't be long before more come along, we can't wait! Thanks again for your reply, it was helpful!

lioness501 05-03-2007 11:11 AM

dont remove the mum for about 6 hours. sometimes it can take anything upto 12 hours for them to finish giving birth. if u move her during labour she could get too stressed and possibly die. ive always used a large breeder net apposed to the ones in sections. i have had 5 lots of fry sucessfully and they dont get eaten by mum. pop her in the net and give her some food. the yellow balls r dead eggs. nothing will swim out of those. my molly seems to be infertile and always give birth to the eggs! another thing is if the platy is still young, this could have been her first pregnany. the first lot of fry will always b the least number. the more they give birth the more fry there will b. and yes they usually give birth every 28 days. even if u take the male away she could still hold sperm inside for 6 months, so having another 6 batches without being mated. and there should always be more females than males with livebearers to prevent pestering and stress. ratio should b 3 females to 1 male! sorry for the essay, hope it helps ;)

speterso 05-03-2007 11:18 AM

Essays are great and this was very helpful! I am just so desperate to learn so I'm thankful for the reply...I read something last night that too, having eggs is a sign of premature birth probably because she was stressed. I'm learning & hopefully will succeed next time. Thanks again for the helpful info!

lioness501 05-03-2007 11:32 AM

glad u enjoyed the read lol! a female livebearer carries eggs inside from several matings, all sizes. so sometimes wen she gives birth to live fry a few eggs come out with them. there r sure signs that she will b about to give birth. sometimes they hide, others go a bit mad, swimming up and down the sides of the tank. also the turn square shped. if u look at her backend its round, well wen they r near to giving birth it will turn slightly square shaped, she will also look fit to pop!!!! like shes full of air. u must b sure she is not stressed during cos its poss a baby could get stuck inside, that causes problems for her and usually results in death. i had the same prob and lost my fave female guppy :(

speterso 05-03-2007 11:37 AM

Awww sorry to hear that. I do have a female that is hiding right now, but I just got her so I thought maybe she's just being timid right now....hmmmm..I'll have to keep watch of her. Thanks again for all the great info it is very helpful...and keep it coming if you have more! :D