Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (
-   -   Quick Answer about Biocube needed: Fish may depend on it! (

CowgirlFishKeeper 11-17-2010 07:37 PM

Quick Answer about Biocube needed: Fish may depend on it!
I currently have a 14g Biocube that's housing my barbs (as read in my signature). We found the biocube by the dumpster, and so we tested it's watertightness. It held just fine, so we took it. Now, we've noticed it's missing the pump, tubes, carbon pack, and plastic bottom for below the pump. So far, the fish have all been active and happy, but we've learned that we have to have six of EVERY KIND of barb, not six BARBS, so we CLEARLY need more barbs...But it's not happening in a 14 gal biocube. We thought of trading the 33 and the biocube, putting the saltwater tank over in the biocube (watching of course the damsel's behaviour) since the blenny eats prepared seaweed and algae anyway, but I'm concerned about doing a swap when there is no pump.

Does anyone know if it is SAFE to use a biocube as a saltwater tank without it's pump? Should we just scrap the biocube and get a tank kit? What's the best thing to do?

bearwithfish 11-17-2010 08:37 PM

yes its safe just get a replacement bio-cubes will take a maxi jet 900 with no issues and this is a standard modification

CowgirlFishKeeper 11-17-2010 08:40 PM

That's the thing, our only local saltwater LFS only sells ones for nano reef cubes, not ones that will work with a biocube, so I would have to turn the back into a refugium...

I've read that you can cut down the plastic to add light to the back portion, for that curly green plant (Lol sorry I have no idea what it's called) to get light, and add my powerhead to it for flow, would it be enough?

bearwithfish 11-17-2010 08:47 PM

you can add ANY power head that fits for flow in the refugium for the chaeto (pm me if you want some) .. aslo any power head you can fit can be used to pump water around the cube you just may need a few extra parts like a threaded on one end barb on the other end fitting and a piece of tube to fit over it then run it to the out put to get flow in the display part of the tank....

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome