Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Fake Frogs Taking Over The World (or at least the tank) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/fake-frogs-taking-over-world-least-5568/)

drag 05-02-2007 05:58 PM

Fake Frogs Taking Over The World (or at least the tank)

Get this, Alani, my male betta has been going nuts over his new tank, withi one exception: the fake rubber frogs at the bottom of the tank are apparently talking about him or threatening him. :roll: Every couple of passes he makes through the tank he has to stop at one of the two frogs, puff up for a few seconds and then continue on.

Has it not gotten through to him that the frogs are in their exact same positions as they were a couple of hours ago?!?!?!

Seriously, is my stupid friend going to get a clue after a while, or am I going to need to remove the frogs for his own good? (My wife just added two fake frogs to her aquarium too 2.5 gallon with a male betta, and he's doing it too. But only to the green frog, he doesn't have a problem with the red one.)

Thanks, Drag

tangy 05-02-2007 11:50 PM

hi. a male betta fish will feel threatened if it it feels an animal or object is more "beautiful" than itself. in this case he should get over it after some time. when i placed a male betta(in heaven :cry: ) in my 10 gallon a long time ago he would feel threatened about a decoration in the shape of a colorful koi on the gravel, i never had to remove it. he got over it after a while. also beattafish placed in new tanks tend to behave this way as they are seeing their reflection in a new tank and ,believing it is another betta, will become highly offensive(puffy gills. expanded fins) sometimes even attacking the wall. i hope this explains your bettas behavior :D

Mr.Todd 05-03-2007 03:41 AM

Great Post! I had no idea Bettas would go that far...

drag 05-03-2007 06:46 PM

How funny! I knew that they might go after their reflections, but I never even thought about how he might view the frogs as compettition! LOL

Cute! (And yes, he's already stopped. Or at least avoiding that part of the tank for now)

tangy 05-03-2007 07:06 PM

yes, bettas offer a good laugh now and again :lol:

Andyandsue 05-07-2007 08:34 PM

Ok, that is really funny. Bettas have so much personality.

Firebelly girrl 05-08-2007 09:20 PM

Sounds to me that your fish is not stupid, but really smart for reconizing a decoration that isnt so plant like, and it being life like!

drag 05-08-2007 09:36 PM

That's a nice way of looking at it. He does do some strange things that are quite intelligent. He kept getting 'caught' in this thick batch of plants I had on one side of the tank, but as he would get himself back out without a problem, I realized that he was resting and being lazy letting the plants hold him up. :)

Heh heh, I just seperated the thicket in order to balance out the tank more, so he'll have to find a new spot.

I'm still just not quite liking it yet though, first it would too spotty, now its too spread out. At this rate I'll be redoing it every week! :?

leifthebunny 05-08-2007 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drag
He kept getting 'caught' in this thick batch of plants I had on one side of the tank, but as he would get himself back out without a problem, I realized that he was resting and being lazy letting the plants hold him up. :)

I notice my Betta keeps resting on his plant as well. Carrying that mass of fins is pretty draining I would imagine to keep it up non-stop.