Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Worms (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/worms-5567/)

hellow 05-02-2007 05:26 PM

Worms

Help!! My aquarium is infested with hundreds of little worms!! I dont have any fish in my tank, yet.

Lupin 05-02-2007 11:16 PM

Sounds like planaria. They are harmless and are consumed by most fish. Minimize feeding rations. What is your tank maintenance schedule?

hellow 05-03-2007 02:36 PM

I sometimes clean the water. I replace the filter in my pump when it gets dirty. I feed my snails around every month. Also, i do not have gravel in my tank because my fish was killed by cloriene. (hope thats how you spell it)

Lupin 05-03-2007 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellow
I sometimes clean the water.

How frequent is this?
Quote:

Also, i do not have gravel in my tank because my fish was killed by cloriene. (hope thats how you spell it)
Can you please elaborate this further?:) You can use dechlorinator to eliminate chlorine and chloramine.

hellow 05-06-2007 10:33 AM

I clean my aquarium once every 5 months. I feed my snails once every week. I found out about the dechlorinator AFTER my fish were dead. The only things that survived was my 15 snails and a cheap plant from Walmart.

Lupin 05-06-2007 11:26 PM

Why not try to switch to weekly instead of every 5 months? Is this about partial water changes or complete haul over of the tank?:)

Falina 05-07-2007 04:04 AM

Every 5 months? It seems like a really odd frequency of cleaning. Was this a typo maybe?

If it isn't a typo, I second the suggestion to change to every week. Since you don't have any gravel then it'll be easy. Just change 20-30% of the water and give the glass a wee "wipe down" with a magnetic glass cleaner thing, or a spongey thing with a big handle. I have no idea what you call them. I prefer the "spongey thing with the big handle" because my tanks all sit against walls, and the magnetic one can't clean the back wall of the tank.

hellow 05-07-2007 08:25 PM

Well, my snails eat most of the food and the rest is sucked up into the filter.So i normally wont clean out my tank without fish.

saint 05-08-2007 12:54 AM

Quote:

Also, i do not have gravel in my tank because my fish was killed by cloriene. (hope thats how you spell it)

so.... why no gravel? am i missing something? :?

Quote:

Well, my snails eat most of the food and the rest is sucked up into the filter.So i normally wont clean out my tank without fish.

snails need water changes too.... :D

Falina 05-08-2007 08:38 AM

Quote:

Snails are often more sensitive to dirty water than fish. I recommend you change your routine to every week, instead of every 5 months.