Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   My fish are dying... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/my-fish-dying-55589/)

dragonfly827 11-15-2010 10:59 PM

My fish are dying...

currently:
2 orange von rio tetras, 2 guppies, 1 otocinclus, and a snail

So, I started this aquarium about 3 or 4 months ago. I finally got it to a point where nothing was dying and the water conditions were fine.

Recently one of my guppies was swimming oddly, I assumed it was swim bladder. After that poor little guy died..one of my tetras started swimming funny.. he was pretty erratic at times or tilting to the side on the bottom of the tank. Any movement he made it seemed to take a lot of energy. Then, another guppy started acting strange, he was normally active but he seemed sluggish and he was staying away from other fish.

This morning I flushed the guppy. =/ and a few moments ago I was looking for my tetra and he was dead in a decoration..seems he had been for a little while and I hadn't seen him because maybe the other fish ate his fins..or they fell off.. who knows..

this is very stressful and sad.. HELP! =[

ps> testing my water tomorrow although I did test after the 1st guppy died and it was fine.

burnsbabe 11-16-2010 02:39 AM

I'd test again. Temp, pH, nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, everything if you've got the kits. I'd also start doing water changes every day with Prime or another good dechlorinator just to make sure you're doing what you can for water quality issues all around.

The way it was one fish, then another, then another makes it sound like an infection of some kind. But I'm not really good on the fish triage. Hopefully someone else can suggest something there.

SinCrisis 11-16-2010 11:43 AM

dropsy? do they look like they are sinking when they stop moving?

Byron 11-16-2010 05:09 PM

It really is very important when attempting to diagnose a health issue to have all the background. Could you please post this info:

tank size
live plants or not?
water parameters: temperature, pH, hardness if you know it
ammonia, nitrite, nitrate--if you have/can test, what were/are the numbers?
frequency of water changes and amount of water changed
what water conditioner?
was anything (salt, chemicals, treatments...) added to the tank or is being added, other than water conditioner?
how did you cycle the tank, with these (now dead) fish or...?
how often were the fish fed, and with what sort of food?

All of this is significant because certain things have subsequent effects and can often suggest issues.

Byron.

underh2o 11-16-2010 05:25 PM

Right on Byron!! How much food?? How often?? What size tank?? Things happen a lot faster in a small aquarium.