Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   What else should I add to my planned setup? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/what-else-should-i-add-my-55535/)

The Game 11-15-2010 06:00 AM

What else should I add to my planned setup?

Hey guys, im going to do a tank makeover as the current setup was for a project and only has 3 female fighters in it. I have an idea of what I want and you can see it all on the following link.
AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor
I was just wondering what other fish I could add to this tank. Probably some fish in the middle or top strata. I dont mind a small school of tetras or maybe even one bigger fish on its own, just as long as they all get along. Thanks for any suggestions.

The Game 11-15-2010 06:05 AM

oh whoops, my bad, i pasted the wrong link, that was with some changes that wasn't permanent.
AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor
k theres the link of the setup i want.

burnsbabe 11-15-2010 06:12 PM

You've got quite the bottom group going on there. You can do it, but I'd be inclined to pick either the Corys or the Khulis. I'd also increase either group. 6 Corys at least. The Khulis are good, except they're very shy. Also, they have a low bioload so I'd be tempted to get a big group (10-15). You'll see them more this way. Also, make sure your substrate is okay for these guys.

Other than that, I don't know enough about Betta behavior (especially the girls) to suggest specific fish to add, but do know that you ought to be able to find something to go in there.

jeaninel 11-15-2010 09:33 PM

I would stick with 5 female bettas rather than 3. They have a definite pecking order and with only 3 one will get harassed constantly by the other 2. With 5 the aggression is spread out a little more.

The Game 11-16-2010 12:26 AM

yea i had 5 females to start with and they were sick when i bought them. I didnt know that they were sick and they ended up dying. the other 3 have been fine so far. The substrate is sand and I know that that its really good for the kuhlis and corys. I really want to get both but im getting kuhlis first, then the corys. if one group isnt getting enough food or getting harrassed, ill move the corys to another tank or return them. Ive also got 2 pieces of driftwood and i may add rocks for them to hide in. I may get more kuhlis, ill see how it goes. I was just thinking of perhaps getting some tetras or something to fill up the middle strata of the tank. what tetras shuold i get if i can get any at all?

jeaninel 11-16-2010 02:06 AM

I had some female bettas in with Rummynose tetras and Harlequin Rasboras and they seemed to do fine together.

The Game 11-16-2010 03:02 AM

is there any schooling fish thats suitable for this setup that are usually in the top half of the tank. i wouldnt mind rummy nose tetras or glowlight tetras but they like to be near the substrate.

jeaninel 11-16-2010 12:12 PM

My rummies and harlies always swam mid tank.

Guppies or danios maybe, but I'm not sure how the bettas would get along with them as I've never kept those together. They might be too nippy for the bettas.

The Game 11-16-2010 04:21 PM

oh ok if the rummies swim in the mid tank then ill get them, ill look at them in the store at see where they are swimming and decide from there. thanks.