Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   adding salt to my tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/adding-salt-my-tank-555/)

alis 09-21-2006 12:20 AM

adding salt to my tank

hello :)
i'm in my first year of university in a teeny dorm room and i'm setting up an equally teeny tank for my room (around six gallons) with a hanging filter on the back. it's been running for about two weeks and it has two mollies and a snail.

my question is this! i've heard mollies like salty water, and i'd like to add it for them (they look a little stressed, i know the water is new & everything) but i don't know how the snail would handle it.

and, on the subject of stress - they do a lot of flashing off the gravel and shimmying - earlier in the week i thought i saw weird white flakes on them (not ich) so i transferred them into a bucket of water with an airstone and planned on getting medication from the store, but the next day when i looked at them in the bucket the 'flakes' were totally gone (weird, i know.) so i put them back in the tank and they're still shimmying and flashing away.

any advice?

Lupin 09-21-2006 12:25 AM

Hi and welcome aboard, Ali.:D

For a 6 gallons tank, mollies will not really fit. They can reach 10 cm max size and the way they reproduce will only become a recipe for disasters. Overpopulation caused by their constant reproduction is a problem and the same thing applies to other livebearers like guppies.

It's best to return them to your lfs and get a betta instead. A betta will fit in the tank but not the mollies.

Mollies will live in freshwater but have better resistance when kept in salty conditions. If you are keeping mollies in a community, adding salt is rather harmful as the other fish will not tolerate too much salt in due time.

I'd recommend 10-15 gallons of tank as the minimum to start on, not below 10 which limits your choices to only a betta.
Also, smaller tanks are trickier to maintain as the water chemistry keeps changing extremely which will harm your fish.

Good luck.:)

alis 09-21-2006 12:39 AM

well - both my mollies are males, i'm not worried about overpopulation! :P and yes, i realize that at maximum size these poor mollies would be really squashed in the tank but as i say, i am in a very small room with not even enough space for THIS tank, really. the good news is that it's only for 8mos until my second year when i move into a real house. however, in the mean time those mollies won't reach near that size and they can be moved into a bigger tank later on if they need it. as of right now, they have plenty of room.

any other advice? perhaps specifically on the snail front?

Lupin 09-21-2006 12:43 AM

Hi Ali.

There's no need for you to put salt. If you like, you can do so as long as there are no other fish other than the mollies themselves.
Pls do add some plants for them to hide if you don't have plants at the moment.:)

alis 09-21-2006 12:46 AM

that reminds me of another good question! :) i have lots of plants and a "sunken ship", haha.. i wanted to add a little half-buried clay pot - is that a good idea for the mollies & snail/what do i have to do to the pot before i put it in?

Lupin 09-21-2006 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alis
that reminds me of another good question! :) i have lots of plants and a "sunken ship", haha.. i wanted to add a little half-buried clay pot - is that a good idea for the mollies & snail/what do i have to do to the pot before i put it in?

I don't think pots are quite necessary. Your mollies will never use pots to hide and pots will be a waste of space in your tank.