Tropical Fish Keeping banner

First Planted Tank Suggestions?

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Blaxicanlatino 
#1 ·
Hey there, so I finally decided to start my first 10 gallon planted tank for orange, yellow and red cherry shrimp. I just started the setup 4 days ago with Fluval Stratum substrate, some java fern, moss balls, fanwort and some smaller( for now) plants, waiting for java and flame moss to arrive, 2 small driftwood pieces and a triangular sponge filter. I am excited and nervous that I dont screw up the plants. Any tips would be great :-D (backround is temporary) I am getting more plants and will let them all fill out before I add the shrimp.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That looks very nice, particularly for a first planted tank. Well done.

I was intending to move this thread to Aquarium Plants, but for some reason there is a slight system glitch preventing me from doing so, but I will move this over eventually.

Byron.

#4 ·
welcome to the forum! im by far not an expert on plants so i will keep shut about them XD nice tank though! i have had alot of success with shrimps. Keep the water clear of nitrite and ammonia and keep low on nitrate. the are sensitive to copper and temperature fluctuations. cherry shrimps are liverbearer shrimps and the females will keep the eggs under her legs till they are ready to hatch. when they hatch they will look like tiny versions of the adults and eat the same foods. ummmm i guess thats about it :D.

#5 ·
Hahaha thank you Blaxicanlatino, I love the RCS, I actually had a successful breeding this summer and got about a dozen surviving offspring which I gave to a friend. I love watching shrimp :D One thing I will mention though for anyone who buys fanwort plants.... I've had mine for a week and they have already reached the top of the tank, so if someone wants a slow-growing plant this is not the one for you...beautiful though and i love it!

#6 ·
XD i have about that many too. But it seems they are all females though! lol have you ever had an amano shrimp? they are friendly with with cherry shrimps. They are blue in the morning and dark brown during the day with nice red stripes! they are usually cheaper than cherrys too

ive never had any experience with fanwort before...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.