Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   UG filter driven by back-hanging power filter? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/ug-filter-driven-back-hanging-power-55454/)

RCinAL 11-13-2010 10:35 PM

UG filter driven by back-hanging power filter?

This may be a dumb question, but has anyone ever piped the suction tube from their power filter on the back of the tank to the under gravel filter? Looks like a simple thing to do and I can't see why it wouldn't work. :hmm:

Unless someone can tell me why this is a bad idea I think I might try it.

Ralph

geofftheoscar 11-13-2010 11:28 PM

My mother ran hers like that all the time! seemed to work great i think some are setup to run like that! i just would use a corse substrate for it!

badxgillen 11-13-2010 11:32 PM

HOB&UG Filter

yeah they work great if you like the under gravel filter...especialy if you can adjust the intake length...

RCinAL 11-14-2010 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badxgillen (Post 512578)
yeah they work great if you like the under gravel filter...especialy if you can adjust the intake length...

Thanks, I thought it would work. I don't see why someone doesn't make a system for this already.

Now that you mention it, I do hate cleaning the gravel all the time and uprooting all the plants and decorations. What works as well for biological filtration but is easier to keep clean?

Maybe it's time I did a little research into the matter. I'm sure there are different options since I started using UG filters over 35 years ago. I've just been sticking with what I know and probably haven't kept up with the times. I'll surf the site a little for answers too.

Ralph

Byron 11-14-2010 12:56 PM

I started in the hobby with UG filters, that was about all there was back then:-). It took a lot of discussion from others to get me to change to canisters, but I did in the mid 1990's and am glad I did.

The main negative issue with the UG filter is that the substrate bed (gravel) is the filter media, and this can get clogged; and in a power outage it can be a disaster as the oxygen cannot get down to the bacteria and they die and pollute the tank.

As you have plants, they do your biological filtering. The filter equipment in a planted tank is solely there to move the water around, and strain particulate matter from the water as it passes through the pads/media. I would choose a good canister filter rated for the size of tank. I can discuss this more if you ask.

Byron.

RCinAL 11-15-2010 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 512825)
I started in the hobby with UG filters, that was about all there was back then:-). It took a lot of discussion from others to get me to change to canisters, but I did in the mid 1990's and am glad I did.

The main negative issue with the UG filter is that the substrate bed (gravel) is the filter media, and this can get clogged; and in a power outage it can be a disaster as the oxygen cannot get down to the bacteria and they die and pollute the tank.

As you have plants, they do your biological filtering. The filter equipment in a planted tank is solely there to move the water around, and strain particulate matter from the water as it passes through the pads/media. I would choose a good canister filter rated for the size of tank. I can discuss this more if you ask.

Byron.

Thanks for the input, Byron (and everyone else).

I have a 33 long tank. It's the same size as a 55 but only 13" tall. Still pretty impressive but much easier to work in. I lost one of the 300GPH powerheads and didn't want to buy another one since the other 300GPH head and the 150GPH back filter was still plenty of flow. Actually, the tank was churning like a washing machine before the failure. :lol: The fish like it much better now.

I did pipe the back filter intake to the non-working half of the UGF to compensate for the loss and it seems to be working great. REAL easy to do and only cost me 2 bucks for a piece of clear vinyl tubing at Lowe's. The only thing I like as well as my fish is saving money. 8-) If the other head fails I might just buy another back filter and do this to the other side too. 2 bio-wheel filters sucking through the gravel would be pretty good filtration IMO.

I did some internet research and think UG filters are still ok with me. My plants are plastic and I wouldn't try to grow live ones anyway simply because of the high cost of decent lighting. I have all the equipment to clean gravel and it seems to me I would still have to do it, though admittedly not as often. I do have more time than money though.

Thanks again, and if anyone is curious, this trick did work out fine.

Ralph

burnsbabe 11-16-2010 02:44 AM

Glad to hear that that works. It does seem a bit...genius.

I do want to point out that there are several well known and hardy plants that you can work with that don't require an expensive lighting setup. Check out Java Fern, Java Moss, and Anubius if/when you have a tank you want to try live plants in.

RCinAL 11-21-2010 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burnsbabe (Post 514055)
Glad to hear that that works. It does seem a bit...genius.

I do want to point out that there are several well known and hardy plants that you can work with that don't require an expensive lighting setup. Check out Java Fern, Java Moss, and Anubius if/when you have a tank you want to try live plants in.

Thanks. I will look into those. I'm not against live plants; only against spending the money for fancy lights.

Byron 11-21-2010 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCinAL (Post 517265)
Thanks. I will look into those. I'm not against live plants; only against spending the money for fancy lights.

All you need is a good tube/bulbs. The existing fixture, assuming you have one, is sufficient. Fluorescent tubes or for incandescent fixtures compact fluorescent bulbs can be purchased in hardware stores for a fraction of the cost of so-called "aquarium" lights which often are less good anyway. Just make sure they are "daylight" or full spectrum with a kelvin rating around 6500K. I use hardware store tubes in my fluorescent fixtures and CF bulbs in my incandescent, and my photos show the lush plant growth I get.

Byron.

RCinAL 11-21-2010 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 517301)
All you need is a good tube/bulbs. The existing fixture, assuming you have one, is sufficient. Fluorescent tubes or for incandescent fixtures compact fluorescent bulbs can be purchased in hardware stores for a fraction of the cost of so-called "aquarium" lights which often are less good anyway. Just make sure they are "daylight" or full spectrum with a kelvin rating around 6500K. I use hardware store tubes in my fluorescent fixtures and CF bulbs in my incandescent, and my photos show the lush plant growth I get.

Byron.

Thanks, Byron. Your knowledge is impressive and your willingness to share it is appreciated.

I do have the standard light fixture that came with the hood. It houses one very old 48" full spectum bulb I bought at the aquarium store. These bulbs last a very long time and work great for showing off the fish for years, but I was under the impression that in order to grow full, healthy plants you had to change them often - something I am just not willing to do. They do seem to lose their "luster" after 6 months or so.

It is also a constant struggle for me to keep the glass underneath it clean enough to allow maximum light to penetrate the tank. Not a problem for viewing fish, but I felt not doing this all the time had to be bad for plants.

Am I wrong about any of this? How often do you change a bulb that is not completely blown?

Ralph