Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Java Moss Questions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/java-moss-questions-55417/)

immune 11-13-2010 12:12 PM

Java Moss Questions

I tied some java moss to the two pieces of drift wood this morning but I guess I didn't tie it well enough. Now I have all kinds of java moss resting at the bottom of my tank. The substrate is sand and though I already vacuumed the tank (several times) it seems there is still a bunch sitting atop my sand. I wouldn't mind if the moss became a ground cover. but I am afraid of these little bits rotting. I have a couple of corry cats in my tank and some snails as well...

Here are my questions:

How do YOU manage to tie on moss to surfaces in your tank without getting plant bits everywhere?

Is the plant matter sitting on my substrate harmful if not fully picked up?

Will the snails and cory cats clean up any more moss that might come off of these pieces of driftwood?

In the future could I manage to just put the square of java moss in the tank next to whatever I want it to attach to?

Thanks for the help!

Blaxicanlatino 11-13-2010 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by immune (Post 512201)
I tied some java moss to the two pieces of drift wood this morning but I guess I didn't tie it well enough. Now I have all kinds of java moss resting at the bottom of my tank. The substrate is sand and though I already vacuumed the tank (several times) it seems there is still a bunch sitting atop my sand. I wouldn't mind if the moss became a ground cover. but I am afraid of these little bits rotting. I have a couple of corry cats in my tank and some snails as well...

Here are my questions:

How do YOU manage to tie on moss to surfaces in your tank without getting plant bits everywhere?

Is the plant matter sitting on my substrate harmful if not fully picked up?

Will the snails and cory cats clean up any more moss that might come off of these pieces of driftwood?

In the future could I manage to just put the square of java moss in the tank next to whatever I want it to attach to?

Thanks for the help!

welcome to the forum :D i have had java moss for a long time now. Java moss doesnt need to be attached to anything in order for it to grow. I have tanks with java moss freely floating anywhere it drifts. You attach it if you want it to attach itself to the object (such as wood). honestly you can just have it floating if you want. I dont think snails or cory cats will eat it at all. It wont harm your tank no way at all.

what i do to secure the java moss to say a piece of wood is good a bunch of it, wad it into a ball, then smash it against the wood, then tie it by use of string. then gently place it in the water in the desire location. Its ok if some pieces get away.

Welsh 11-13-2010 02:15 PM

You can tie java moss over and over again but it will always find a way to work itself free, especially if you have fish such as corys or plecos which are constantly working over the wood,etc. It won't rot, instead it will attach itself to the substrate which is why if you have an internal filter you should watch out for moss getting stuck, since this stuff will attach itself to absolutely anything. :-)