Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Is my silver molly prenant??? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/my-silver-molly-prenant-55407/)

pringleman1 11-13-2010 08:43 AM

Is my silver molly prenant???

2 Attachment(s)
Ive had this molly for a few weeks now and i got it with a female platy. When i get her she was really thin and slender but then she went a bit round and now seems to be getting square?
Here is a picture of the day after i bought her with the other platy and then a picture of yesterday.
If she is pregnant when roughly should i expect fry?

thefishboy 11-13-2010 08:51 AM

Firstly welcom to tfk!!!
And yes i think seh is pregnant..........
The gestation period is from 4-7 weeks...
When she is looking really square and not wating and by the heater she will be very close to giving birth!!

pringleman1 11-13-2010 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefishboy (Post 512107)
The gestation period is from 4-7 weeks...
When she is looking really square and not wating and by the heater she will be very close to giving birth!!

So she might not be ready for another few weeks because i only started noticing it at the start of last week.
How many do fry do molly fish have on average?

Chicklet 11-13-2010 08:05 PM

I kinda have to chuckle every time I read post of people asking is my "Live bearing " fish Pregnant.
Of course their pregnant, they can bred extremely young, One mating can give you 6 or more batches of young.

Yes your Mollies pregnant guaranteed!

As to exactly when she will drop will totally depend on different things,
Water temperature plays a big role, Warmer means sooner, cooler means longer wait,

If the fish is not content and happy then they can hold off having young for along time if ever,

As to how many a molly can have, Well that depends on the age of the fish and her size,
Bigger females tend to have larger broods " say over 100" .. Smaller females less.

First timers tend to have less but with each consecutive batch it will increase in number.

pringleman1 11-13-2010 08:49 PM

Ok well she has been diving at other fish when eating and seems to be dominating half the tank. Is that anything I should be concerned about, I only have one tank so it might be hard to separate her from the rest.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ostara 11-13-2010 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicklet (Post 512413)
I kinda have to chuckle every time I read post of people asking is my "Live bearing " fish Pregnant.

Hehe, same here. My response is usually "If you can sex it and it's female, it's pregnant." And then once they've had them a while there's usually the followup question of "How do I stop my livebearers from having any more babies??" :lol: