Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Anabantids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/)
-   -   blue gourami attacking my fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/blue-gourami-attacking-my-fish-55400/)

pauls 11-12-2010 11:46 PM

blue gourami attacking my fish

Hi,

I have 1 Blue 3 dot gourami, 1 gold gourami, 1 paradise fish, 3 angels.

my blue gourami seems to be attacking all the fish above and i dont know what to do? could someone please help me as the last thing i would want to do is get rid of it.

trit0n2003 11-13-2010 03:25 AM

do you know if it is a male or female?

my male was extremely aggressive alone.

also what sex is the gold gourami?

thefishboy 11-13-2010 03:34 AM

If im right the gouramis and paradise fish are all antibids...
And the males fight but some people have them togerther no problem.. I would remove the one that is attacking all the others and see what hapens.... Maybe get a spare tank...

trit0n2003 11-13-2010 03:45 AM

I have 1 male and 3 females together in my community tank and they are all very calm. They occasionally chase after each other but nothing harmful. When I have 1 male and 1 female he will beat that girl to death. Maybe add a few females
Posted via Mobile Device

thefishboy 11-13-2010 03:56 AM

That wouldnt be to badd......

Byron 11-14-2010 01:05 PM

Have a read of the profile of the Blue Gourami, it explains what previous members have mentioned about aggression and how to prevent it. Notice also the info on tank size; smaller tanks frequently bring out aggression more. Click on the shaded name in posts to see the profile, or use the second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top of the screen.

Although it can vary from fish to fish, the male gourami is an aggressive fish and will take its aggression out on other gourami as you're noticing. This is highly stressful to the other fish, and they will develop health problems as a result and possibly premature death if it is bad enough. The aggressor should be removed, there really is no other option; you cannot "teach" such a fish to be nice.;-)

Byron.

Inga 11-14-2010 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 512832)
Although it can vary from fish to fish, the male gourami is an aggressive fish and will take its aggression out on other gourami as you're noticing. This is highly stressful to the other fish, and they will develop health problems as a result and possibly premature death if it is bad enough. The aggressor should be removed, there really is no other option; you cannot "teach" such a fish to be nice.;-)

Agree 100% I had a similar issue with my Gourami. I now have only 1 Gourami with other species of fish and it is peaceful and wonderful. I had to get rid of the aggressive fish. It wasn't what I wanted to do but I am glad I did for the benefit of the fish I have now.