Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Anabantids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/)
-   -   Kissing Gourami Fry (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/kissing-gourami-fry-55242/)

kaxt 11-10-2010 09:37 PM

Kissing Gourami Fry

2 Attachment(s)
A little story to share my excitement (sorry it’s a little long):

Two weeks ago I woke up to cloudy water and 1000s of eggs floating in my 75g. I was completely caught off guard and had no idea who they had come from. I looked around and saw that the only fish large enough to have produced that many eggs where the kissing gouramis and the clown loaches. I than saw that one of my kissing gouramis had an indentation on either side of it's belly and decided that the egg had to have come from her.

I was a little annoyed at the cloudy water, I had just spent the weekend doing a major cleaning on the tank after finding a new home for a large pleco that my neighbor had dumped into the tank when it had out grown hers. I was happy to have found a new home for that plant destroying poop machine (as cool as he was, he didn't belong in my tank) and even happier to have new plants and clean gravel. I left for work.

Anyways, I left for work wondering if I was right about the eggs coming from the kissing gourami, wondering if they were fertile, and wondering what it was going to take to clear the water up again. When I got home from work all the eggs had turned black and the water was still very cloudy. I figured that the black eggs meant that they were all unfertile and that they were growing fungus. After dinner I got all my equipment out to do a quick water change when I noticed that all the black eggs had sprouted tails and were wiggling around. The annoyance changed to excitement. I got a Dixie cup and started scooping fry out of the tank and putting them in a breeder net. One little scoop was turning up 100s of fry, it was unbelievable how many there were.

Today they are 2 weeks old, they have started surfacing to breathe air, which assures me that they have to be gouramis, and they seem to have just recently exploded in size. I still have at least 100 left, which is exciting because I have read that the first 2 weeks are the hardest to keep them alive, and if I have 100+ at this point I’m assuming I will be able to raise a decent number to adults.

The picture with the cup shows how many eggs/fry I could catch with just one scoop of the small cup… like I said, unbelievable numbers.
The picture looking down on the breeder net shows the final number I caught from the main tank to try and raise. That picture was taken just after they developed 2 separate eyes and just before they became free swimming.

I'll try to get another picture up tomorrow showing how big they are now.

small fry 11-11-2010 04:59 AM

Congrats on the fry!

I would just like to point out that you are going to have WAY more fry than can fit in your tank! Don't forget that kissing gouramis can get a foot long. You will probably be able to raise a decient number, though. I love watch fry grow up!

Good luck with your fry!:-D

(BTW common misconception, plecos don't eat fish poo)

kaxt 11-11-2010 07:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I already have the space issue figured out for my fry. I just set up a 30g to use as a grow out tank for them so they won't be in the breeder net for much longer. I have some family members that will take a few of them off my hands when they get bigger, and I've talked to a couple LFS that will take the remaining fish once I find the 30g isn't large enough anymore.

The two adults that I have are going on 15 years old. The female is the first thing I bought once I started to get an allowance. The female is the bigger of the two fish and I'd guess she is a little over 7 inches. 12 seems huge to me for a kisser, I know all of the sources say that, but I still have never seen one that big before.

Oh, and I realize that plecos don't eat fish poo, I was just saying that he produced WAY too much of his own.

Watching them grow has definitely been fun. I'll keep the pictures coming so you can watch them grow as well.

This is one at a week old, they're 15 days now so I'll have to try to get another picture soon.

kaxt 11-18-2010 09:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
3 Weeks! And starting to look like little gouramis.

kaxt 11-18-2010 10:51 AM

Here's a link to a You Tube video. The quality isn't that great but it shows how big they have gotten, and how many have survived. The white cloud in the center of the tank, on the bottom, is all microworms. The fry cleaned them all up in less than half and hour. They are starting to get bigger eatting a lot.

sik80 11-19-2010 09:31 AM

excellent work - they're very cute

luckysarah 11-19-2010 09:39 AM

awwwwwww

kaxt 11-19-2010 10:20 AM

Thanks guys. I really have been enjoying them... incase you can't tell from all the pictures I've posted.

iza425 11-30-2010 01:09 PM

They are so cute! I love kissing gouramis. They have some personalities (I know that sounds weird)! I have one that's almost 12 years old.

thefishboy 11-30-2010 01:13 PM

Wow congratulations!