Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   What is a "well planted tank"? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/what-well-planted-tank-55210/)

LisaLB24 11-10-2010 02:21 PM

What is a "well planted tank"?

I read the sticky information for this section and thought it was very helpful! It says that there is no need to cycle a "well planted tank" but I was wondering what this meant. I currently have 2 bunches or anacharis, one anubias on driftwood and a moss ball in a 10 gallon, and I am attempting to sprout some bulbs in another vase to eventually add to my aquarium. Is this planted enough to go ahead and add fish? Thanks!

Byron 11-10-2010 05:02 PM

This is not easy to define, I have tried previously [I wrote that article by the way]. In your 10g, I would say you are half way there, though I do not know the extent of the Anacharis. If the two bunches occupy half or more of the tank, and are really growing, you're OK.

The type of plants also affects this. Anubias is slow-growing, so it uses fewer nutrients, and that means less ammonium (from the ammonia produced by fish and bacteria). Thus, it will not have the same effect as fast-growing stem plants (like the Anacharis) which require more nutrients and thus assimilate much more ammonium/ammonia. Provided they are truly growing; this plant frequently does not do too well, as it does not really like warm (tropical tank) temperatures as much.

Ideal plants for a 10g to grow relatively fast are most of the stem plants, the pygmy chain sword plant, and floating plants like Ceratopteris cornuta (this one consumes a lot of nutrients). Click on the shaded names to see the plant profile of these.

Byron.

LisaLB24 11-11-2010 08:22 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. The anacharis looked good for about a week and then slowly started turning to mush. Everywhere I read said it was an excellent plant for a newb and that it grew really well so I thought it might be that I over fertilized it. So it's more likely the temp? I am planning on a beta so I've had the temp between 77-78. Ok, back to the drawing board. The problem is that all I have near me are big box petsmarts and petcos and the plants are all marked "mixed-aquatic". One of which was a fern that I found out the hard way was not aquatic.:evil: I'll keep working at adding more plants!

LisaLB24 11-11-2010 09:18 AM

I'm looking to order osme plants online... would any of the Ceratopteris bahve the same? I can only find Water Sprite(Ceratopteris thalictroides)

Thanks!

redchigh 11-11-2010 10:08 AM

For fast-growing plants, I'm a fan of stem plants..

May I assume you have proper lighting?
(For my 10 gallons, I run about 20 watts of compact flourescents)

If so, I would go with ludwigea repens, hygrophila difformis, and dwarf sag.
In all of my tanks these grow like a weed.

Proserpinaca Palustris also does very well for me.

If you like swords, you can get a "Echinodorus Bleheri Compacta" So far mine has stayed small enough to be comfortable in a 10..