Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   BGK dead, Blue Gourami alive? - Input appreciated. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/bgk-dead-blue-gourami-alive-input-55128/)

Goldfish 11-09-2010 10:15 AM

BGK dead, Blue Gourami alive? - Input appreciated.

Yesterday upon purchasing a Black Ghost Knife (Mr. Wiggles) and a Blue Gourami (Twitch), I took them home, floated themf for about fifteen minutes, and accumulated them adding one glass of tankwater into their bags every two minutes until they were full. I then (I know, I know, but it was either my hands or this) tipped the bag to the side and let them swim out into the tank, releasing Twitch first, then five minutes later releasing Mr. Wiggles.
After about thirty minutes, Twitch was NOT doing well. He was stopping and sinking to the bottom, then resting until either I walked up or Mr. Wiggles swam by, to which he would swim to the top then float back down, clamping his fins. I didn't expect him to make it through the night. Within an hour of placing them in the tank I turned out the light and laid in my bed. I kept a flashlight handy and shone it in every once in a while keeping an eye on them. Mr. Wiggles was very active, even with the light on and Twitch was still bottom sitting. I fell asleep for about an hour.
Upon waking up, I shone my flashlight in the tank, only to find Twitch swimming - now perfectly - and Mr. Wiggles in an open corner: still - dead.
I am appalled. I checked my parameters with an API Liquid Master Test Kit and everything is PERFECT. My tank is also so clear you could swear there is no water in it other than the bubbles from the UG. I don't think the LPS I purchased these fish from had very good water quality because as they were floating and even after being released in the tank, Twitch kept going up to the top to breathe air. On the reciept it says 'NO LIVESTOCK RETURNS' but I will be making an aggrivated phonecall to the manager. Although, I'm going to tell them Mr. Wiggles passed on the ride home, and never made it into the tank, though, because he was dead within an hour and a half of being home and I payed $9.99 +tax on this fish. I'm very upset.

Do you all think I have a right to be? Did I do something wrong? I have been in the hobby for over six years now and I have been reserching these fish for months and the tank cycled for two full months with only an Apple (Mystery) Snail.

Byron 11-09-2010 12:16 PM

There are a few possibilities, and it may be one or a combination.

Something in the tank affected the fish. And/or, there was something wrong with the BGK [how did it act in the store tank?].

We will need a lot more information. Tank size, how long running, other fish [assume none from your post but please confirm], pH and hardness, light, decor. BGK are delicate fish with special needs.

Byron.

Goldfish 11-09-2010 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 509399)
There are a few possibilities, and it may be one or a combination.

Something in the tank affected the fish. And/or, there was something wrong with the BGK [how did it act in the store tank?].

We will need a lot more information. Tank size, how long running, other fish [assume none from your post but please confirm], pH and hardness, light, decor. BGK are delicate fish with special needs.

Byron.

In the store tank I didn't see it. They have small tanks and it seemed to be the only one. He coaxed it out of the PVC pipe and netted it.

My tank is a 33 gallon hexfront (flatback). This is only a temporary tank, so please, don't start on how small it is. He was to be moved to a 55 at ten inches in length. The only other tankmate is the Gourami. My pH is 6.5 - 7.5, I don't know how many watts the light is, it's been on that tank for about ten years. I have two large-ish lava rocks (one of them smaller, and cave-like which Mr. Wiggles took to very openly), faux plants around the UG filter's tubes and pea gravel.

I have images and videos I took last night, I'll upload and post them.

VTonic 11-09-2010 02:34 PM

As Byron has said this could have been a multitude of problems. If I had to make a wild guess, the fish was probably sick allready and the transition and stress caused from it killed it. NOW, as far as your methods for getting him in the tank, STOP DOING THAT!!!!!!!!! Your hand would have been better. If you have $10 for a fish then you have $2 for a net......... I am sorry for being rude but you must understand, many parasites are free swimming and if you have now introduced them into youre display tank you risk a tank crash and all livestock dieing. I know this becaue it has happend to me about 4 years ago using the same method you are currently employing. I hope you have more luck in the future and I am sorry to hear about your new pet not making the transition. Happy fish keeping!
Regards
Tonic

Goldfish 11-09-2010 02:44 PM

I'll be sure to do that, Tonic.

The pictures are almost done uploading.

Goldfish 11-09-2010 03:01 PM

Videos:
(Don't worry, none longer than one minute!)

<< For sure processed

<< Might not be processed

<< Best of the BGK

thefishboy 11-09-2010 03:03 PM

Wow thats alot of pics and vids.. Sorrry to here bout ur fish..

Goldfish 11-09-2010 03:05 PM

How do you do bulk uploads of photos on here?

thefishboy 11-09-2010 03:07 PM

Im not sure i use the attachment icon when writing a post...

Goldfish 11-09-2010 03:08 PM

I don't want to copy and paste the links 38 times....