Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Fish Dead On Arrival (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/fish-dead-arrival-55126/)

MukiTheFish 11-09-2010 09:38 AM

Fish Dead On Arrival

Hi,

I just bought 2 harlequin rasboras to add to my tank, and I noticed they were very small and lacked any red colouring. I'm guessing it's age related.

So, I drove from the pet shop (3minute drive), then walked to the entrance (1-2 minutes), outside temperature is about 8-10C and the bag with the fish was not isolated. I put the bag which contained fish in the tank to acclimate it. 5 minutes later both fish died.

Have I stressed them with the temperature? The fish were not moved from the water they came in, which was same water they lived in and there was no contact with my tank water other then temperature.

Now should I try my luck again or what?:|

kitten_penang 11-10-2010 02:52 AM

is the tank new of cycled.did you check the params before getting the fish?

MukiTheFish 11-10-2010 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MukiTheFish (Post 509289)
Hi,

I just bought 2 harlequin rasboras to add to my tank, and I noticed they were very small and lacked any red colouring. I'm guessing it's age related.

So, I drove from the pet shop (3minute drive), then walked to the entrance (1-2 minutes), outside temperature is about 8-10C and the bag with the fish was not isolated. I put the bag which contained fish in the tank to acclimate it. 5 minutes later both fish died.

Have I stressed them with the temperature? The fish were not moved from the water they came in, which was same water they lived in and there was no contact with my tank water other then temperature.
?

My tank is cycled.

Ostara 11-10-2010 11:57 AM

Sounds to me like you just managed to get a pair of sick or weak specimens that died from the stress of being bagged and moved. If they were sick though it's a good thing that you didn't add them to your tank where they could cause problems. It sounds like you were going through the standard fish adding procedure, so I don't see how they could have died from anything that you did.

If you replace them I'd get them from another store; you don't want to risk the same thing happening or have them live long enough to introduce illnesses to your tank if they're sick. I'm sorry that they didn't make it... it's frustrating to have fish die shortly after buying them, but these didn't even make it out of the bag! :-?

kitten_penang 11-11-2010 01:10 AM

maybe the o2 finished and they drowned. ps: you dint say you opened the bag and cliped it to the tank. hahahaha

MukiTheFish 11-11-2010 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_penang (Post 510559)
maybe the o2 finished and they drowned. ps: you dint say you opened the bag and cliped it to the tank. hahahaha

I didn't say that. It doesn't matter either, for I did say the time in which the fish were put into the bag and turned belly up did not exceed 20minutes even. Thus O2 did not run out in such short time. I kindly ask you to read the post before answering.

Cheers,
Muki

kitten_penang 11-12-2010 09:01 AM

well some time they just pump air in not o2.it happens here sometimes not sure about from where your from.
plus you din't have to be so touchy everyone makes mistakes once in a while and most of us here except it and let it slide. thats why it's so nice here even for newbies that are just learning to keep fish.we don't shoo them down for their mistakes we correct it and make friends with them.