Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Something's up with my African Cichlid (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/somethings-up-my-african-cichlid-55043/)

bigE 11-07-2010 08:39 PM

Something's up with my African Cichlid
 
He's been twitching a lot, rubbing himself on the gravel, and has a clamped dorsal fin. The side he's been rubbing against the gravel also has a small patch of what appears to be white fuzz. I'm not sure if it's a fungus or what but i want to clear it up asap. He has a healthy appetite and is still active.
Any information would be much appreciated,
Thanks


P.s. I recently took back the jack dempsey who shared the tank with him because he kicked his ass and nipped at him a lot... so i'm thinking this could have been the initial source of entry for whatever it is.

RipariumGuy 11-08-2010 12:17 PM

Sounds like the usual fish fungus. Move to a quarantine tank. Dose salt or anti-fungal meds and he should be fine! BTW, what does your water test at for temp and ammonia, nitrates and nitrites?

bigE 11-08-2010 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RipariumGuy (Post 508716)
Sounds like the usual fish fungus. Move to a quarantine tank. Dose salt or anti-fungal meds and he should be fine! BTW, what does your water test at for temp and ammonia, nitrates and nitrites?

The temp is 76, ph 7.6, for ammonia+ nitrates/nitrites I still do not have a testing kit however I've been religiously changing 1/3-1/2 of the water every two weeks. (10 gal tank)
As for a quarantine tank all I have is an empty 1.5 gallon bowl but without heating or filtration. This would be a poor option correct?
Thanks for your help!

thefishboy 11-08-2010 02:46 PM

You had a jack dempsey in a 10g tank??

RipariumGuy 11-08-2010 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigE (Post 508746)
The temp is 76, ph 7.6, for ammonia+ nitrates/nitrites I still do not have a testing kit however I've been religiously changing 1/3-1/2 of the water every two weeks. (10 gal tank)
As for a quarantine tank all I have is an empty 1.5 gallon bowl but without heating or filtration. This would be a poor option correct?
Thanks for your help!

Correct, the bowl is a bad idea. :-)

He is in a 10g tank? That is a tad small for most African cichlids. In the near future I would upgrade to a bigger setup and add some more Africans. By the sound of it, the cichlid is the only fish in the setup, right? If so, you should be fine without having to quarentin him. Also, what speices is the cichlid in question?

Good luck!

bigE 11-08-2010 05:01 PM

unfortunately this purchase was made before research was done

bigE 11-08-2010 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RipariumGuy (Post 508841)
Correct, the bowl is a bad idea. :-)

He is in a 10g tank? That is a tad small for most African cichlids. In the near future I would upgrade to a bigger setup and add some more Africans. By the sound of it, the cichlid is the only fish in the setup, right? If so, you should be fine without having to quarentin him. Also, what speices is the cichlid in question?

Good luck!

I did some research after posting this thread and apparently he is a red striped earth eater, Geophagus Surinamensis, native to South America, that apparently grows up to a foot long. NOT, as I was told by the kind folks at Ace Hardware, an African cichlid who'd reach an adult size of 5 inches. He is about 2 1/2 inches long now and shares his tank with a baby cory catfish, an oto, and two 1 1/2 inch tetras.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2