Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   So when is it when you cross the line exactly..from hobbyist to an addict (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/so-when-when-you-cross-line-55035/)

dfbiggs 11-07-2010 08:27 PM

So when is it when you cross the line exactly..from hobbyist to an addict

1 Attachment(s)
Today I went to the lake to get some driftwood for my 10g and came back with enough to fill a 40g. I also have to laugh because I keep suitcases of large rocks which I scrubbed clean for any upcoming aquariums...anyone else do this? Or should I seek help :)

Bluebirdnanny 11-07-2010 09:26 PM

I dare say many do, though few will admit to the practice. Those who don't will caution us that do of potential dangers this can add to our aquariums. Care MUST be taken not to introduce into the tank any thing that has or may have bacterial, parasite or other harmful organisms into our tanks.

There are ways to sterilize but we must be careful we do so thoroughly. There are many different ways of this but to the beginner it is not a good practice until more skilled at the process. One can not take from the lake and add directly to the tank without risking the health of their tank community ecosystem.

tanker 11-07-2010 11:47 PM

I think it's good to have an interest. I don't keep things for future tanks because my house is full up with as many tanks as it can fit (unless I start replacing furniture with tanks - and that would be going overboard.). If it's possible that you will have more tanks, it isn't silly to think ahead and start collecting nice things to put in them. It is hard to find what you are looking for when you are setting up a new tank.

badxgillen 11-08-2010 12:25 AM

its all good

gotta have a stock pile...never know when you need a nother tank setup...and when you go to a LFS and see the prices on the treasures you found for free it all makes sense...

1077 11-08-2010 06:07 AM

You know you have crossed the line when your fish eat better than you do.When every table,chest,shelf you see at stores,garage sales ,etc you begin thinking of whether it could support a tank.
When you choose to buy just a half tank of gas rather than filling up so you can stop at local fish store on the way home.:roll:
I'm Fish poor, and nearly dirt poor to boot,but I always seem to get buy and the fishes thrive. To me,,that's all that matter's.

dfbiggs 11-08-2010 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 508545)
You know you have crossed the line when your fish eat better than you do.When every table,chest,shelf you see at stores,garage sales ,etc you begin thinking of whether it could support a tank.
When you choose to buy just a half tank of gas rather than filling up so you can stop at local fish store on the way home.:roll:
I'm Fish poor, and nearly dirt poor to boot,but I always seem to get buy and the fishes thrive. To me,,that's all that matter's.

Well I meet all the criteria..lol that is funny eyeing up stands you see around though...I thought I was the only one. Something else I found myself doing is looking at shrubbery and trees and wishing they were aquatic plants so I can put them in an aquarium..:)

AnfibioRana 11-09-2010 10:00 AM

No matter how many woods and stones you have collected already: you'll always need for one more.
Ciao!
AnfibioRana

OscarLoverJim 12-15-2010 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfbiggs (Post 508646)
Well I meet all the criteria..lol that is funny eyeing up stands you see around though...I thought I was the only one. Something else I found myself doing is looking at shrubbery and trees and wishing they were aquatic plants so I can put them in an aquarium..:)

"You must bring us a shrubbery!" - Monty Python & The Holy Grail

Yeah I have in past met those criteria too, as well as finally knowing I'd gone too far when I tried to put a 5 gallon on a stair landing because it was the last good plug in in the house. When I think back I can admit my ex wife went through a lot sometimes.

aunt kymmie 12-15-2010 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OscarLoverJim (Post 535023)

Yeah I have in past met those criteria too, as well as finally knowing I'd gone too far when I tried to put a 5 gallon on a stair landing because it was the last good plug in in the house. When I think back I can admit my ex wife went through a lot sometimes.

LMAO. :rofl:

dfbiggs 12-15-2010 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OscarLoverJim (Post 535023)

:lol: That's pretty funny..Well good...now I don't feel like I have a problem..this must be what AA feels like.