Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Ich on my angel and something else in the tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/ich-my-angel-something-else-tank-54955/)

Cmmc23 11-06-2010 02:37 PM

Ich on my angel and something else in the tank?

Ok, so I am really pretty new at this stuff. I have had a 2 gal tank for the last 2 years. In it I had a few danios (glo-fish) and near the end I had one who was a real bully. (I realize now it was because it was a tiny tank to keep danios in!!!) I found this great 29gal tank on Craigslist and bought it, it came stocked with fish and live plants and I have had it for about two months now.
I took my old fish and added them to the big tank after a week or two. My bully danio seemed to straighten right out and has been minimally aggresive.
I realized about a week ago that my beautiful angel fish had something hanging from his fin, I was sure it was fin rot, I went to the store and bought "Lifeguard all-in-one Treatment" for fungus, rots and ich. I thought this would be safe since I have never dealt with fish disease before. I have been treating it for six days and he seems to be doing much better! The medicine said to do a water change on day 6 (yesterday) so I did and then added the meds. I think this is working but I noticed this morning that one of my fish, I'm sorry I'm not sure what he is, (I can post a picture) has been hiding in one of the rocks when usually he is very active. Upon closer inspection I realized he has scales missing and a whitish area on his torso. I also realized with this that my bully danio from my small tank has suddenly been much more aggressive, especially to this type of fish, (I have 3 of them and he chases and bites them.) My worry is either I have another infection other than the fin rot or my danio is biting my other fish in which case they could become infected.
I am wondering if I should continue medicating with this medicine or switch it up or stop completely, I have no idea....
My water parameters this morning were:
ph=6.8
Ammonia=1.5ppm (highest it has been since I have had the tank.)
Nitrite=0ppm
Nitrate=40=80ppm (also highest its been.)

My tests didn't help my stress level and I am worried the meds are causing the spikes.

On a slightly related note, I think the whole reason I got fin rot to begin with is the fact that my filter is very low volume, I think I am going to replace it today and was hoping for some input on that idea and what filter qualities you would look at.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Cmmc23 11-06-2010 03:07 PM

Photos of unknown species with whitish areas where scales are missing

2 Attachment(s)
Here's what he looks like, I have 3 of them and they normally school and are very active, I would guess they are about 2.5 inches long and have a small red spot on their eyes, to me they look sort of like huge orange and yellow tetras with black spots on their backs or something.
Also in this other picture is my other mystery fish, I would guess he is about 4 inches long and hs a black and yellow strip on his tailfin silver body, similar to those large danios?