Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Moon light (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/moon-light-548/)

le9569 09-20-2006 05:09 PM

Moon light

I read somewhere in this forum that it is not a good idea to turn the tank into completely darkness. I have a switch that turn off light at night. Is there a moon light that can be used?

Which moon light are you using? Any suggestion for model?

Thanks for your input.

le9569

SKAustin 09-20-2006 06:20 PM

Coralife makes a few different models of moonlights that can be mounted onto their lighting units. These lights can also be made to fit into a standard lighting unit and provide ample lighting for night time viewing.

I currently have 2 coralife 1watt spotlights and 2 3/4 watt cans to light my 55 gallon.

There are less expensive alternatives available on the web, however you get what you pay for.

usmc121581 09-20-2006 06:29 PM

They are very good for reproduction purposes, but its not good to run them every night.

Michael 09-20-2006 07:30 PM

I've never heard that the tank can't be completely dark before. Is that true? Is it bad if it is fully dark at night when I turn out all the lights? Is a moon light necessary?

Lupin 09-20-2006 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael
I've never heard that the tank can't be completely dark before. Is that true? Is it bad if it is fully dark at night when I turn out all the lights? Is a moon light necessary?

I'm beginning to think that when you go to the shore, you could see the moon shining over the sea. Well, as the moon's light is weaker than the sun, deep areas may never be reach but I don't think there could be many reefs in very deep parts.
There are occasions when the sea becomes completely dark especially when the clouds are covering the moon or during storms. Well, the corals may survive without the moonlight but don't just go on switching off the moonlight almost every night.

Now, I can't apply any more logics.:mrgreen:

usmc121581 09-20-2006 07:38 PM

All the moon lights do is copy of the moons effects. So thats why its good to use moon lights, but every now and then don't turn them on. Also Get up real late at night, take a flaslight that has a red covering over it, and sneak up to the tank. and very slowly shine the red beam into the tank and look around. You will be amazed at the stuff that comes out at night. Its like you have two tanks.

Michael 09-20-2006 07:41 PM

Okay, so it emulates the moon... but is it necessary? :)

usmc121581 09-20-2006 07:43 PM

No not really, they create rhythmic glitter and shimmering effects. Its special luminance promotes lunar spawning cycles in corals and reef life. It also illuminates the aquarium so that the natural nocturnal behaviors of tank inhabitants can be observed.

Michael 09-20-2006 07:45 PM

Gotcha, thank you! Maybe I will add it to my wish list.

usmc121581 09-20-2006 07:47 PM

Most of the expensive lighting for reefs come with them. Its called 24 hr lighting.