Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Ancient Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/)
-   -   Ottos as DP tankmates. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/ottos-dp-tankmates-5478/)

Falina 04-29-2007 06:04 PM

Ottos as DP tankmates.

What is the reason that Ottos are often recommended as Dwarf Puffer tankmates?

Is it because they keep to their own and don't bother anyone else in the tank? Does it have to do with size? For example, would larger catfish do well with puffers assuming they didn't eat them? Normally DPs are kept in smaller tanks but if for example, they were kept in a larger tank, would plecs do well with them?

I ask because I have considered turning my 7g into a tank with a pair of puffers but decided to leave it for Hannibal, my betta. I also have a 30g tank with some ancistrus and a pair of kribs but the kribs are giving my problems (see my other post) and I wondered what I could do withi this tank now and thoguht of the puffers.

daisycutter 04-29-2007 06:18 PM

i'm wondering this too my puffers tank is begining to look a bit messy with algea growing on everything but they seem to attack almost anything i've tried large "too big to be eaten" snails only to find them dead and missing bits any companion species that are safe would be very useful

Falina 05-06-2007 07:28 PM

Ahh well, it seems to be Otos, or notthing.

daisycutter 05-08-2007 06:38 AM

ive just got 3 ottos puffers dont pay them ANY mind at all :D

Falina 05-08-2007 07:04 AM

It seems that Ottos are the only fish though I don't know why. They keep mainly to themselves, but so do a lot of catfish, like plecs for example but ahh well. One of natures mysteries!

Nice to see you've got your ottos, if I remember correctly you were having bother getting hold of them for a while :D

markiee55 07-10-2008 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Falina
It seems that Ottos are the only fish though I don't know why. They keep mainly to themselves, but so do a lot of catfish, like plecs for example but ahh well. One of natures mysteries!

Nice to see you've got your ottos, if I remember correctly you were having bother getting hold of them for a while :D

so plecs dont work? tht doesnt make sense...

explain plz. :omg:

iamntbatman 07-10-2008 02:12 AM

I keep a clown pleco and tiger barbs with my dwarf puffers. I've had the tank set up since December and haven't had any aggression/nipping problems yet. Well, some of the barbs were a bit nippy amongst themselves but adding a few more solved that problem.

markiee55 07-10-2008 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamntbatman
I keep a clown pleco and tiger barbs with my dwarf puffers. I've had the tank set up since December and haven't had any aggression/nipping problems yet. Well, some of the barbs were a bit nippy amongst themselves but adding a few more solved that problem.

ok?

i understand the tiger barbs...

bf2king 07-10-2008 07:53 AM

From what i understand its the fact that otos are small plus they keep to themselfs the puffers dont really notice them. Alot of people try plecs (or so ive heard) and find the plecs dead within the week. Then they try otos and dont have a problem. Other then that im not sure.

bf2king 07-10-2008 07:54 AM

From what i understand its the fact that otos are small plus they keep to themselfs the puffers dont really notice them. Alot of people try plecs (or so ive heard) and find the plecs dead within the week. Then they try otos and dont have a problem. Other then that im not sure.