Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   angelfish in a 20 gallon? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/angelfish-20-gallon-5476/)

Firebelly girrl 04-29-2007 04:35 PM

angelfish in a 20 gallon?

Is there any chance 2 angelfish could be happy in a 20 gallon? I've done some research and some websites say a 20 gallon is enough, and some say you should have a 40 gallon, so I'm not sure which way to go? And I only say 2 because I don't think 1 would be happy by hisself, right? Or can an angelfish be fine by hisself?
The only other tankmates would probably be a few corys at the bottom.
Thanks!

Falina 04-29-2007 04:42 PM

I would advise strongly against it because angels get pretty big: 6" long and remember they're not slim fish so take up a lot of room. They also require a tank height of at least 18" which isn't going to give them much swimming space in a 20g. Most are pretty small when they're sold so if you have somewhere for them to go in a short time when they grow then that would be a different story.

MattD 04-29-2007 06:11 PM

They get roughly 6" long. While that's not big, they get roughly 8" HIGH. You need a tall tank, and plenty of room. Small ones are sold in stores, and too many owners often find themselves without enough room after it grows to its full size.

Proceed with caution. Your tank may be okay when it's young, but as it grows, you will need a larger setup.

Firebelly girrl 04-29-2007 09:04 PM

OK thank you, I have an empty 55 gallon, But I didn't plan on setting that back up anytime soon, so i'm still not sure what i'm going to do.
Theres no dwarf angel fish, or smaller fishies that look like angel fish? lol :( :(

Lupin 04-29-2007 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firebelly girrl
Theres no dwarf angel fish, or smaller fishies that look like angel fish? lol :( :(

There isn't.:)

MattD 04-30-2007 10:25 AM

Why not just set up the 55 Gallon? Technically they're easier to maintain and manage than a 20 gallon could ever be.

And you could get an angel fish or two. :p

Firebelly girrl 04-30-2007 07:54 PM

Honestly, because I had it as a anphibian tank and I dont have all the tops and lighting and stuff for it, and no room to set it up anywhere where I would watch it!
Thanks though guys, anybody have any other suggestions for .. a well "larger bodied" fish that can live in a 20 gallon, and get along with some corys?

Lupin 04-30-2007 07:55 PM

Black skirt tetras, penguin tetras, bleeding heart tetras and diamond tetras seem to fit your criteria.:)

Firebelly girrl 04-30-2007 08:17 PM

K they all sound pretty familiar, which one do you personally like best? And which ones are more active, and not shy and timid and hide a lot?

Lupin 04-30-2007 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firebelly girrl
K they all sound pretty familiar, which one do you personally like best? And which ones are more active, and not shy and timid and hide a lot?

I have not tried diamond tetras but the rest aren't exactly shy.;)