Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Is this light to much.... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/light-much-54737/)

Calmwaters 11-02-2010 03:29 PM

Is this light to much....

I am trying to find a light I like better for my 2.5 planted tank and was thinking about one that is listed on ebay but I am afraid it may be to much for my plants. They have it at my LFS set up on a 2.5 gallon tank that is a salt water nano type setup with coral and stuff but I am not sure if it will work well for just normal plants as it is my understanding that coral and stuff need alot more light than freshwater plants. Anyway here is the one I am considering and if it is to much could you guys suggest something else to use.
8" Economy Aquarium light hood Reef Nano FREE BULB - eBay (item 230544301959 end time Nov-03-10 10:14:44 PDT)

buzzbee 11-02-2010 05:45 PM

DIY light

if you browse the DIY section you might find a project

Byron 11-02-2010 06:17 PM

I searched the Catalina Aquarium website but this product isn't listed. Given the fact that it is called "Reef" I would suspect it may not only be too bright but too blue which will promote algae.

Calmwaters 11-02-2010 06:46 PM

Thats what I was afraid of thanks Byron.

Mikaila31 11-02-2010 10:35 PM

IMO it is not too powerful for a 2.5 gal, but it will certainly challenge you to grow plants in that tank and keep algae under control. BTW that hood is a total waste of money. They sell 13 watt Bipin bulbs at 7000K at Fleet Farm for certain and most likely Home depot for about $3. You can also buy a cheap lamp that uses them and tear it apart for a retrofit. I bought a used Azoo aquarium light for my 2.5 gal tank that uses the bulbs. Its worked very well so far, but keeping algae at bay will be difficult. Also its ballast is totally sealed so once that goes the whole thing is pretty much FUBAR and will be scraped for parts. It also has no real socket for the bulb, its just bear wires that you wrap around the pins then push a little rubber tub over them to protect it. IMO I could make a much better quality one myself, but it could not be as sleek as the Azoo one is with its little clamp on goose neck design- its the galaxy light. I also only bought it because it was sold used and was in a working state.

Calmwaters 11-03-2010 08:44 AM

I am going to look in the DIY section and see if I can find one thats easy enough for me to do.

redchigh 11-03-2010 09:24 AM

I would just use a gooseneck desk lamp and set it beside the tank with the light directly above.

Using spiral bulbs, a 12W cool white would be sufficient.

Calmwaters 11-03-2010 11:20 AM

Redchigh thats what I have on it now I just don't like the way it looks.