Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Buying Fish online?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/buying-fish-online-54696/)

mcb5522 11-01-2010 09:16 PM

Buying Fish online??

Just wondering has anyone tried ordering fish off of any websites if so, what are the advantages and disadvantages ?
I go to my LFS but all of them have the same thing and im looking for more variety

small fry 11-01-2010 09:45 PM

I have never ordered online but I can tell you the disadvantage. Shipping:-(. Lots of shipping. $$$.

Calmwaters 11-01-2010 09:54 PM

I have bought from a guy on aquabid several times and have been very pleased with the price and shipping. The shipping was only $15.00 and the fish were in great health when they arrived. He emails me a list every month of what he has avaliable if you would like pm me your email and I will forward the list to you. He has a very large selection of hard to find fish as well as the easy to get ones.

small fry 11-01-2010 10:56 PM

I've seen a site that ships for $10, but it was an independent site that didn't have much in stock.
$15 sounds like a great deal to me if the fish are properly handled!

Russell 11-01-2010 11:22 PM

Talk to the people at the LFS's especially managers. Ask questions, tell them about your tank. You have to develop a relationship at a store you trust. They have acess to the same suppliers that online stores use. But, they will only order for you if they are sure you will show up and buy or if you are a money spender. I could never find South American Puffers in my area but now I can get one whenever I want because I have a working relationship with the manager of a local store. And I can get one for 7.99 instead of the 9.99 plus 40 shipping that is online. If only adult puffers could learn to get along I would have a tank full of them. If you can find a good store with a lot of stock and get in good with the people or person who places the orders you'll find your fish keeping experience much more pleasant especially if that store has a fish guarantee. It makes a big difference when you get into plants, unique fish, and live food and don't want to pay an arm and a leg.

Caliban 11-02-2010 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell (Post 504509)
Talk to the people at the LFS's especially managers. Ask questions, tell them about your tank. You have to develop a relationship at a store you trust.

I second this. We have a tiny local aquarium store. They don't keep a lot in stock. Their tanks hold only a few fish each (kinda' a nice change from the tanks crammed full at the chains.) However, talking to the guy behind the counter, who I'm guessing is the owner... he can order just about anything for me if I ask. It's just a matter of waiting a week... 2 tops. We're now on a first name basis and he gives me a price cut now and then since I seem to be haunting his store a lot. He's also familiar with the area, knows what the water is like in different towns...

small fry 11-02-2010 10:48 AM

I have got to try that. I have spent at least $150 at my tiny lfs. The owner ask me how my betta and cichlids are doing every time I walk in the store. She has ordered items for me in the past (not fish). Maybe she can order a specific species. Soon I will be trying to get some pretty rare fish (for an amazon tank).

Thanks for the tip!:-D