Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Crown Tail Guppy genetics (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/crown-tail-guppy-genetics-54656/)

Marginatus 11-01-2010 06:56 AM

Crown Tail Guppy genetics

Apologies, you can delete this thread, I think I've found the info I'm after.

Merah/Crown tail Guppy/ Endler hybrids coming soon (hopefully).

kitten_penang 11-04-2010 07:28 AM

we have those in penang.they are called umbrella guppies.RM150 per fish locally

Marginatus 11-04-2010 01:24 PM

Apparently there are three names for it, crown, umbrella and merah.

Is that expensive for a Guppy out there?

I've never seen any being sold here and even pictures of them are hard to find so I'm assuming they're relatively rare...in this country anyway.

The gene showed up in some Endler hybrids that I bought but it isn't fully expressed so it's going to need some linebreeding to get it to show fully, I'm on my second generation now and I'm waiting to see the results in the young of that brood. It takes a while to develop so you can only see it in my adult Fish, whether it shows earlier in more linebred Fish I'm not sure, time will tell.

I must admit that when it's fully expressed it looks like they have been beaten up and have shredded fins but in partial expression it's actually quite beautiful.

I'm not sure if they can be shown, I'm going to contact the BLA to see if I can show them at some point next year, there doesn't seem to be a class for them at the moment.

kitten_penang 11-04-2010 03:31 PM

i think it's more from the swallow tail genes. add some of those in and you might get one with the same characteristic as the crowntail

Marginatus 11-04-2010 08:30 PM

That was my original question actually, I've looked into it and apparently it's a seperate gene.

I was wondering what tail type to breed it to but it actually doesn't really matter too much as it's an incompletely dominant gene so whatever I put it to I'll get some Merahs. If I put it to another Merah I'll get all Merahs so I need to do a bit of linebreeding/inbreeding to get it to show properly.

It's what's called an 'autosomal' gene too meaning it's not linked to sex like alot of the tail types and it will show in both male and female Fish.

I also found out that it was discovered (or at least started to be distributed) as recently as 2005 if the info I have is correct.

kitten_penang 11-05-2010 05:49 AM

seriously. i only saw the first version as thai khamron guppy.i tried to look for it half a year back.maybe someone spotted it in his tank in 2005 and started specially line breding it to what we get today.
as for the price.it is a tad bit expensive as the normal lfs guppies go for a few cents for a female and 1.80 for males.better quality guppies cost around 30 and above.i think it's new and they are banking in on it.but the whole new variety thing hasn't caught on with the guppy community unlike the albino reds that were first shipped here from Taiwan back in 2000.i have my doubts on whether it will do well in my care plus the price does put me off even more coz i don't breed them i collect them just for fun.in the last guppy competition i din't see a lot of them and that means i'm not the only one that has doubts on this new variety.

Marginatus 11-05-2010 07:01 AM

It's certainly not going to be a very popular strain, I see it as more of a collectors' type Fish because to most people it looks like it's diseased or been attacked by fin nipping Fish.

Above all I want to breed healthy, vigorous Fish so if I find (as I at first suspected) that it in any way inhibits their swimming ability or effects them in other ways I'll have to look again at it but I've not seen anything that would indicate that and my present stock seems quite vigorous so I'll just keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the info Kitty.

kitten_penang 11-05-2010 08:54 AM

well it does inhibit their swimming and even a mild fin rot will definitely kill it. hope all goes well for you.if you want one i can get you some contacts from here and thailand but i'm not sure how much is their shipping costs.

Marginatus 11-05-2010 09:35 AM

I was thinking about trying to develop a short tailed variety that doesn't have the completely stripped fins like some that I see. The hybrids I have at present seem to cope fine and they still have plenty of fin so I think it's something that's just got to be done without putting aesthetics before consideration for the Fish's welfare.

It would be brilliant if you could give me any contact details and I'll look into shipping costs, thank you.