Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   male and female? help me find out... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/male-female-help-me-find-out-54623/)

raleej337 10-31-2010 06:21 PM

male and female? help me find out...

3 Attachment(s)
Is it possible to find out the sex of these two blue rams?

Attachment 18908

close up pics (sort of...)

Attachment 18909

Attachment 18910

thank you!

small fry 10-31-2010 09:20 PM

The easiest way to sex rams is by looking at the black mid-lateral blotch. In males, there are none of the bright blue spangles inside the blotch, whereas in females, there is. Hope this helps!

Welcome to the forum!:-D

ElectricBlueJackDempsey 10-31-2010 09:42 PM

I have a trio of these ( 1 male;2 females) and those both look like females to me

raleej337 10-31-2010 10:30 PM

time to hunt for a male...have to call several LFS again!

Byron 11-01-2010 02:35 PM

I also think they are both female. If you check our profile of this fish--click on the shade name Mikrogeophagus ramirezi to see the profile--it mentions sex differences and also has a photo of a pair spawning so you can see the differences better.

Their behaviour toward each other is often a clue; two males would constantly be "challenging" each other. A pair (male/female) would be obvious by their interaction.

Byron.

raleej337 11-01-2010 04:37 PM

maybe a male blue ram?

1 Attachment(s)
how about this one. does this looks like a male?

Attachment 18949

Byron 11-01-2010 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raleej337 (Post 504205)
how about this one. does this looks like a male?

Attachment 18949

The photo caption says it is a male, but I couldn't swear to it; the black markings on the shoulder are washed out too, either from stress or this may be one of the artificial colour morphs.

raleej337 11-01-2010 08:21 PM

Thank you!

Well since this is the only possible male I have found so far (and I drove 40 minutes just to take alook at it) I bought it. Surprisingly one of my females immediately swim with this one, and I've noticed that the female became a bit of aggressive towards the other tankmates. I have been watching them and the two seems bond to each other immediately. Swimming together or just following each other. I hope they really pair, the other female is being bumped by the other female everytime she tries to go near the male.

raleej337 11-01-2010 08:46 PM

i've just noticed that the color of my female become darker and intense, is this a sign of stress or something?

Byron 11-01-2010 09:10 PM

On the last post, no, that is her response to the male. Fish can change the intensity of their coluration quite significantly due to interaction with a mate or other fish, environmental conditions (darker over dark substrate, lighter over light substrate) or stress. In this case it is interaction.

And I would agree it sounds as if they are forming a pair. I had identical behaviour when I introduced a female Bolivian Ram to my male, and within 3 days they spawned.